FORUMS: list search recent posts

RE:Demo Reel Law

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
SilverSpy
RE:Demo Reel Law
on Apr 22, 2007 at 2:26:04 am

Hey Guys,
I was wondering if there is some law that editors/motion graphic designers, etc can or cannot use what they've worked on in their demo reels or on their websites?
I'm currently working at a company where this topic seems to be a huge issue.
I never thought it was a problem. But just to be on the safe side I want to know
before I make any moves.
Thanks, in advance, for you comments.

Lamont Pinckney

Return to posts index

mr_gfx
Re: RE:Demo Reel Law
on Apr 23, 2007 at 1:36:59 am

Here is my take on it.

If you are creating a demo reel as an individual editor looking for freelance work, you should put any and all things you have done on your reel that showcase your talents.

Because if you think about it as a freelancer you don't own any of your work. it is work for hire (unless contractually agreed which probably is never.)

but, if you are creating your own personal "company" then it is iffy if you put a spot on "your company's reel" that you made when you worked for someone else. I say this because you created that work for the company you worked for and to put it on your own company's reel would be unethical since "your company" didn't create it.in theory that work belongs to them and they are probably using it on their own reel.

so if a new client sees your old employer's reel and your personal company's reel and sees the same spot they will have questions about that overlap and could cause both of you to lose the job.

on the other hand. maybe you could put that spot on your reel and claim only the part you did. For example, if you only Edited it, you could say that your "company" edited that piece but did not direct or produce it. That could probably allow you to get away with having it on your reel if you are competing on a bid against your old employer.

Return to posts index

rocco
on Apr 23, 2007 at 6:05:58 pm

I interviewed at a production company who told me they were hiring editors in part so they could use their new editor's work in their own reel.

Seemed a little "off" to me.

Return to posts index

SilverSpy
on Apr 24, 2007 at 3:04:36 pm

Thanks for your input. Its very helpful and put things in perspective.
Thank You.

Lamont Pinckney

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]