FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cinematography Reel

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthem78
Cinematography Reel
on Apr 21, 2007 at 1:49:04 am

I would like to get some feedback on our new reel. My brother and I did everything in this reel: cinematography, shooting, lighting, directing, editing, vfx and sfx (everything aside from the song). We've shot a few short films, and would like to start getting some work shooting commercials, music videos, etc. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.faktion.anthemstudios.com/reel.html

Mike

Return to posts index

mr_gfx
Re: Cinematography Reel
on Apr 21, 2007 at 3:01:38 pm

Here is my two cents....

Cinematography and lighting was great! Looked Pro to me.

Storyline, not so much. I really didn't get the story at all. The sequence of shots didn't make sense to me. Also, the beginning quick cuts didn't work for me either. There was no motion going on in them to make it flow. Just static images except for one clip that kind of moved and was jarring.

Return to posts index

djtwitch
on Apr 21, 2007 at 5:03:20 pm

My two cents...

I do very much like the shots and the lighting, very well done and shows you know what you are doing with a camera.

The piece as a whole however seems a bit long and I found it a bit difficult to get all the way to the end. It seemed like you were editing to get to the end of the song which isn't always entirely neccessary. In the later half of the reel you stayed on your shots for a very long time when the viewer can get the jist of the sequence much faster than you have alotted for them.

I would play with editting the music to make a more concise piece and bring the edits closer to really bring movement to your audience.

This is all of course just my opinion so do with it as you wish. Your cinematography work is very good, the reel could be better to showcase that.

Return to posts index

Anthem78
on Apr 21, 2007 at 9:08:47 pm

Thank you both for your comments. This is exactly what I was looking for. I will work on the edit in an effort to get it to flow better and try to make it easier to watch. Thanks.

Mike

Return to posts index

person
on Apr 22, 2007 at 12:04:26 am

I would ditch the genre of music and the quick cuts. You're not selling bottle rockets. Think Martin Scorsese and Thelma Schoonmaker. Do you think they would do that for a reel? the shots using controlled lighting look good. Your exteriors tend to have hot spots as will most HD video. Nice shooting overall however.

Editor

Return to posts index

Anthem78
on Apr 22, 2007 at 12:53:22 am

Thanks for the comments. Question: If you would ditch this genre of music, what genre would you use? And are you recommending I slow the cuts down overall? Or just the quick cuts?

Mike

Return to posts index

person
on Apr 22, 2007 at 1:42:05 am

Look at what you are working with. Do what feels appropriate. What you are using is counter to your work. Think fluid. Think story telling. Think film. Attach the shots together, even though it's a montage. Use the motion within the shots to create a ballet from one shot to the other (refer to movie trailers for this). It's okay to have scenes pass by quickly at times, or to get you from one place to another, so long as it supports fluid motion and story telling.

Also, look into using your original audio from scenes to create a thread with the music (dialogue and sfx). Audio is a great way to read between the lines and to marry different shots together. You could use something the juxtapose the image to give it greater meaning. Try cutting together audio clips and put some of your shots against it. It will show you what I'm talking about. I'm getting a little carried away here. You get what I mean right? It's film stuff.

Editor

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Apr 27, 2007 at 2:54:06 am

I read all the posts before watching the clip.....I do this a lot.

You guys should all go bck and watch this again with NO SOUND. It's a cinematography reel!!! These guys have some real skills. Editing might not be at the top of them, but for what they were showing it worked for me. I would play this clip with no sound.

Worked quite well for me!

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

Anthem78
on Apr 28, 2007 at 6:00:24 pm

Thanks Rich! That's what we're trying to sell

Return to posts index

sdshannon85
on May 2, 2007 at 8:50:10 pm

Very beautiful cinematography, I do slightly agree with everyone else in terms of editing but, that can easily be fixed, other wise fantastic work.

Return to posts index

person
on May 7, 2007 at 7:20:05 pm

a reel, weather it be cinematography, editorial, motion graphics, set design, should also reflect that you understand how film works. the film looks good, but the reel, as it is, says nothing about these guys 'getting it'

Editor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]