FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need Feedback On Reel Please?

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
DJTwitch
Need Feedback On Reel Please?
on Apr 19, 2007 at 3:44:43 pm

http://twitchdesigns.com/reel/movie_reel.html

OK, please check out my reel and offer and feedback your are inspired to to write be it negative, destructive or just plain mean. Or if you like it that might be actually pretty cool to hear too :)

Chun Lim

Return to posts index

jester02
Re: Need Feedback On Reel Please?
on Apr 19, 2007 at 4:42:56 pm

Great job, what program(s) do you work with?

Return to posts index

DJTwitch
on Apr 19, 2007 at 6:55:33 pm

I work primarily in After Effects as well C4D, Motion and of course PhotoShop and Illustrator. Thanks for the compliment. Now let's see if I can find a job.

Return to posts index

Flowmotion
on Apr 19, 2007 at 6:52:12 pm

Nice! I wish my reel was that cool.

Return to posts index

DJTwitch
on Apr 19, 2007 at 6:55:50 pm

Return to posts index

pedroreynoso
on Apr 20, 2007 at 3:58:01 am

Your reel is excellent. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to find a job with the amount of experience you have with ae. I barely started using ae and I have a long way before I can do as much as you are doing now. Good luck!

Return to posts index

DJTwitch
on Apr 20, 2007 at 5:05:20 pm

Thanks, I apprecaite the compliment.

Return to posts index

DJTwitch
on Apr 20, 2007 at 5:09:05 pm

I certainly want more feedback from motion graphics designers but if there are any editors who can take a look, are there any suggestions any of you can offer as to pacing, mood, progression or even if the song works. Personally I like how the songs takes the viewer through the piece but I am also biased because I love the song. I also thought it might be a nice change from over used upbeat non descript techno. Don't get me wrong, I love electronica but I thought this song might really set me apart. Thoughts?

Return to posts index

predator
on Apr 20, 2007 at 5:53:02 pm

i'm a trailer editor here in LA and i think the work is very good. I've seen the best and have been able to work with the best and your work is very good. I really like your use of lighting and DOF. I like the song as well and it is my experience that going against the grain at times is a good thing, however with graphics speed does matter when it comes to the cool factor. I would at the very least experiment with speeding everything up. This will make your work look a bit more complex and also sorten the overall reel.

Good work.

jason

Return to posts index

DJTwitch
on Apr 20, 2007 at 6:14:43 pm

Jason,

Thanks for the compliments and most certainly the constructive suggestions. I can definitely experiment with the ultimate tempo of the peace. Are you thinking a time remap of the whole piece as a whole? Or reworking the edit with the song paced faster?

Return to posts index

predator
on Apr 21, 2007 at 1:09:17 am

No prob.

I think it would depend on the song. First i would speed up the entire reel to see what that does and if you feel like some need to slow down or even speed up faster then i'd go in and re-time the individual clips. Ultimately it comes down to the song you choose to go with and how the reel feels up against it.

jason

Return to posts index

djtwitch
on Apr 21, 2007 at 5:05:38 pm

Thanks Jay... right now the reel is being viewed at a few houses so once it gets back to me I'll experiment with tempo. I can't really change it while it's in review. I do appreciate the feedback. Thanks for taking the time to look.

Return to posts index

scottieh
on Apr 24, 2007 at 6:53:24 pm

I liked every bit of your work that lived heavily in three dimensions. The first product on your reel, the Digital Cinema environment was outstanding. Very very cool looking. Nice use of lines to give depth as the camera moved away from the logo. The "Unique" logo looked very sleek and nice too. I really liked how to took the flat image of the Regal Gift Card and worked with it and used a photomosaic to give more of the 3d again. Great lighting with the fashion photographs.

Maybe you could add some motion to the coffee in the coffee cup for the Dunkin Donuts ad to make the focus livelier.

I would take out the Wedding Crashers ad because it looks plain. Plain text on a plain red floor with plain photos floating to the floor. And I would change around your Slvr mobile phone design because it looks too similar to the current ad for that same product.

Then there's a long string of ads that are very flat: the G35 coupe ad, the Froots ad and the depression psa are all single frame ads that have little camera movement. If you tweaked them and gave them the same kind of style you had with the Lasik ad, where the camera shifts to a different part of the screen where another part of the ad is presumably waiting, that would be primo.

And your final montage of logos is great. Those are very good.

Very nice work!

Return to posts index

DJTwitch
on Apr 24, 2007 at 10:44:30 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate the suggestions. Unfortunately you mentioned tweaking pieces that have long been client approved and air on screen so changing them at this point would change the integrity of the projects.

I completely understand about the Wedding Crashers promo and honestly only included the piece do add big name credibility. I will be looking to replace that and the other static sequences in the future when I have more projects that lend themselves to more depth with movement. For the moment these are the spots I have to choose from that I have done professionally.

I don't mean to over defend my work and I do very much appreciate the feedback. Hopefully I can replace the shots soon. Having said all that somone reading all of this may question why I put my reel up for scrutiny at all. My answer would be I don't consider myself an editor and I really wanted to know how my execution was with pacing, movement, progression and relaying the song. For the moment unfortunately the work will have to speak for itself as work completed for clients, not for a reel. I cannot iterate enough how much I do appreciate the critique of the work though, thank you again.

Return to posts index

Heather Crank
on May 9, 2007 at 4:27:14 pm

I agree with some of the previous comments, I would speed the whole thing up, and not spend so much time on each clip. Just give the viewer enough time to register what they are looking at and then move on. I also think some variety in the pacing would help you too. Whether it's changing the music or just pacing some of the piece differently. Very nice work!

Heather

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]