FORUMS: list search recent posts

motion graphics reel questions?

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Rank
motion graphics reel questions?
on Apr 9, 2007 at 5:51:44 am

I'm assembling a motion graphics reel and have a few questions...

First, everything I've read says that I should keep it to a minute...is that a hard and fast rule, or is it that the attention span of the person reviewing them? I've got mine at 2:20...if the content is good, is that just too long?

Second, I'm tryin to showcase everything I know; After Effects, Maya, Cinema4D, Ultra, Vue, etc. But are they really going to be interested in the 3D work even if it's heavily composited in AE with other items? From what I've seen, it looks like the local broadcasters will either be blown away with the integration of 3D or just pass on my reel because they aren't currently using 3D.

Lastly...tell me something about packaging. Is it acceptable to send off the reels in a paper sleeve, or are they expecting a full-blown printed dvd, full case design, etc? I'm quite sure that I already know the answer to this one: Make your reel look as professional as possible as it is more likely to get the disc into their player.

Thanks a million folks...

Return to posts index

motesobe
Re: motion graphics reel questions?
on Apr 11, 2007 at 8:06:16 pm

I'll try to answer a few of your questions. Speaking as someone who was just recently looking for work and putting together a reel, I might be able to help you.

I've never heard about the minute rule. In my experience, a good motion reel is usually between 2:30-3:00 minutes. Just long enough to give potential employers a good taste of what you're capable of, yet leave them wanting more. If you have enough material to show, try cutting your clips to only display the best parts of your animations/clips. Puting together a fast-paced reel has always gotten me good results.

You'd be hard pressed to find a broadcast network who would be turned off at your knowledge of 3D software. In fact, working in broadcast design these days, it is pretty much industry standard to be fluent in 3D as well as 2D. If you have the skills, show them off!

I recently put together my motion graphics reel and in doing so I realized that I could express an even more artistic side by getting creative with my packaging. So I had my reel pressed on DVD's with custom labels and packaging that I designed at home. The end result was great and something I was very proud to show to prospective employers. If you have the time and means, I would definitely suggest going that route. Also I can't stress the importance of having a website with your reel also. In this day and age of networking, It's much easier for a company to easily click a link and see your work right away. A website along with a DVD hard copy to show will go a long way.

Hope this helped!
You can view my reel at the link in my signature.

Mario Vengoechea
3D/2D Motion Graphics Artist
http://www.mario-v.com

Return to posts index

gribble
on Apr 17, 2007 at 8:32:33 pm

The best way to learn is to see how successful companies do it.
Maybe order a showreel off an established motion graphics company and see how they package it. The packaging is an opportunity for you to show off more of your graphics skills.

The other idea is to contact tv channel personnel ad ask them what they look for. You may time it right and they are looking to employ on the day you called!

If you have full pieces such as show openers and not just an edited reel that would be helpful to help people judge your treatment of specific topics.

And always start pieces with a slate showing a credit to the collaborators who made things in the reel you did not do like the videography or prop making. People will assume its all your own work and many people have come unstuck by this.

Gribble
::: Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana :::

Return to posts index

Midicon
on Jul 5, 2007 at 3:09:22 pm

if your going to take any advise i'd listen to motesobe his demo is pretty sick... (there is 10yrs + of experience in there) but look for good design and a creative idea this is what people in the creative fields look for... I do think motesobe's demo is a bit long but he has alot too show some one jus starting out prolly wouldn't have as much content (i know this becuse i didn't have that much when i was starting out...) i had to come up with a lot of stuff on my own... you don't have to have a bunch of big corporate logo anima to get attention or a bunch of 3d (which is good if your fluent with it) but the worst situation you can get your self in would be if you don't really know maya (or any highend package) and they want you to under a tight deadline and that what they hire you for... Design and a creative idea the 2 most important pieces... The over all packaging isn't that big of a deal but handing in a dvd in a plastic sleave isn't creative and there is no design there... i made a custom package for mine and i costomized it for the company that i was giving it too (this will show the company that you know who they are and what they do)...

ROB ECKERT
Designer

Y P A R T N E R S H I P
Orlando, FL
T 407.838.1777 F 407.875.1115
E rob.eckert@ypartnership.com W http://ypartnership.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]