FORUMS: list search recent posts

Looking for feedback on 2007 reel

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Heather Crank
Looking for feedback on 2007 reel
on Mar 21, 2007 at 1:39:21 am

Hi,

I'm about to update my site. Before I do that, I wanted to get some feedback on my current reel and how I can imporove what is there.

http://www.crank-design.net

Thanks!

Heather

Return to posts index

AEstorm
Re: Looking for feedback on 2007 reel
on Mar 21, 2007 at 10:22:03 am

You got some nice work in there, again to me music is a must to draw me into your work and it can make or break a demo reel, i would personally change the music, it is frustrating music. Kind of like rave music. Drones on and on.

However other people may like it but that is the only thing i would change, do not feel offended you have great work just the music choice for me.

Return to posts index

Heather Crank
on Mar 21, 2007 at 5:13:41 pm

Thanks AE Storm,

I'm not offended at all and really appreciate the feedback.

Heather

Return to posts index

greg
by
on Mar 23, 2007 at 7:59:34 pm

I think your reel looks good. I have to agree on the music though. You need music that "goes somewhere" That song seems like it would be perfect for a series of clocks in motion on the screen.

You do nice work Heather.

Return to posts index

Heather Crank
on Mar 23, 2007 at 8:50:24 pm

Thank you Greg. I really appreciate the feedback! I will definitely change the music.

Heather

Return to posts index

Mike_S
on Mar 24, 2007 at 10:47:00 am

Overall, artistic work. Very personal - love it - could I sell it to a corporation ..?

Highs - quality feel. Strong illustration and animation. Feels like an expert reel. Like the first "current" intro. Like the pop art references. Very much like the "heart- internal organs" animation. Decent control of AE and its sort-of 3D. Restraint in use of light rays / Shine-like effect!

Lows, for me: presentation mechanics:
wonder whether a faster-loading flv might do better - is that an embedded swf? And it's frustrating to have no scroll bar, no indication of how long the reel might be when it starts.

Lows - content: clips 2 and 3 don't hold quite long enough for my taste - they resolve and exactly on that frame you cut away. Means I didn't really get to absorb the (attractive) end layouts - even for 8 frames.

Novell clip doesn't look good to me. If I were Novell, I wouldn't be featuring this.

I don't really go much for what looks a bit like a "canned" ripple effect / transition into (interesting - looking) prison scene.

One of the titles - cursive white lettering (? canabie films? title) on dark backing is perhaps not real well suited to this size of playback?

Overall, this feels like a really charming and quirky personal art-inspired reel, with just a couple of flat spots. Is that where you want it positioned? I like it - but what maket are you going after ...?

All best.

All that aside,

Return to posts index

Heather Crank
on Mar 24, 2007 at 6:23:24 pm

Wow, thank you so much Mike! I really, really appreciate you taking the time to break this down!

A little of my back story..I graduated from C.C.A. with a graphic design degree right into the beginning of the war. Not the best timing, work was slow. I had taken 2 AE/Motion Design classes toward the end of my schooling and fell in love. So I made a website and during the last year, a reel and did my best to find work (this school did not have a placement program nor did it help with internships, though I did find unfortunately didn't tach me much). No one would hire me, even as an intern. I wouldn't give up and tried for a year until a former teacher brought me in to work for him. Thus began freelancing. I've been freelancing for 4 years in a variety of positions but haven't gotten the experience of working in a firm for an extended period of time.

The Novel piece is a series done for AMD by a company I freelance for on a regular basis. It's a template they use and I animate it. They were the closest I've come to working full time for a company (I freelanced steadily with them for 2 years until I moved). I'll see if I can find a better spot of the work I did there.

Right now, I'm trying to create more stability and a regular flow of work. I really enjoy the artsy aspect but I wouldn't mind corporate either. Should I really hone my reel to the artsy or should I try to include more corporate work? I don't want to alienate clients, but I can't say I have a strong arsenal of corporate work.

Thank you so much for taking the time!!!!

Heather

Return to posts index

Mike_S
y tu?
on Mar 31, 2007 at 7:53:05 pm

Wow, Heather. I'm at a loss how to respond appropriately.

You obviously are gifted and determined .. which way to steer yourself, career-wise, is such a personal thing. To my taste, you are really strong when doing quirky, artsy, personal stuff - love it. Is there a career / enough money in that line of work for you ? Wish I knew. From the look of your work, it would seem there might be a market in indie film / music / show title sequences / maybe even ads - distinctive work sells. Your personal piece with the adobe award certainly hints at possibilities for you in the film as art, gallery arena. Corporate - I wasn't meaning to steer you that way, though that's where most of my income comes from. There's a little more tendency to the group / conformist experience, I think - but it can pay. Is that a good trade-off ..? I'm not really sure ...

I hope you can keep going with the stuff you like, that stands out - and find a good market for it, to get the regularity of work you are looking for. With video distribution changing so fast, and the imminent arrival en masse of corporates and advertisers in "user-space" with (all too often clumsy and heavy-handed) attempts at viral marketing with video (or Flash clips - or absolutely anything fresh that might grip us as viewers) it might be that there's room for something fresh and original - space for a talent like yours. (On the flipside of that, some of the briefs for would-be virals that have come through here are horrifyingly awful!)

I wouldn't be too down on your teachers - if they knew much, they'd probably have passed it on. You seem to have emerged with a pile of talent and undimmed enthusiasm, so it could have been worse! These are such personal- judgement things, cross-cut by the input of what sells / gets a response ... so hard for anyone really to "know anything" - minor nod to William Goldman there. Sometimes it's tempting to look for mentors, for those magical people who know stuff on a deeper level and might enlighten us ... but I'm starting to think that's a mirage, there's only us humans down here, so we might as well just get by however we can / how it suits us ..

All best

Mike

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]