FORUMS: list search recent posts

Spec work, and what you think of it

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryanisfishing
Spec work, and what you think of it
on Mar 6, 2007 at 7:08:30 pm

I am entry level designer, and i want to get into the motion graphic, but I don't have real world work experiences, but I work for a company that does Big Title DVD menus.

I am learning AE and C4D on my own, but of course, the only work I can do is spec work to put on my reel.

As a employer, what does spec work means to you? If you see a reel full of spec work, would you hire them (if the work shows quality) or do you look at another reel?

Also, when you do spec work on your reel, do you state in the credits, that they were all spec work?

Return to posts index

Mike_S
Re: Spec work, and what you think of it
on Mar 15, 2007 at 10:32:18 am

Talent and output is not quite everything - attitude and employability come somewhere in the mix - but they are nearly everything.

If you have great stuff on a reel (unencumbered by client project or budget restrictions, corporate guidelines, committee interference or any of the other things that can blow good work off track) then I think most potential employers with a need for a designer would at least be willing to meet with you - just to check you can do it at speed, with a smile, accommodating us lesser mortals in your workflow ..!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]