FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sending Demo Reel with Cold Cover Letter

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dmwc16
Sending Demo Reel with Cold Cover Letter
on Feb 1, 2007 at 9:58:09 pm

Hey,
I have a quick question that I can't seem to get a straight answer to. If I send an employer a "cold cover letter" and resum

Return to posts index

mikegn
Re: Sending Demo Reel with Cold Cover Letter
on Feb 2, 2007 at 2:47:26 am

Unsolicited resumes happen EVERY day, usually in multiples of 5. However, if you have a nice demo reel (dvd is good!) that looks professional, I can almost guarantee someone will look at it. That someone might just be the intern they send to organize freelancer reels, but hey, someone will look at it...
So in a word, yes, if you send a cold resume, send a disk as well.

"Roto is not a skill, it's a job."

Return to posts index

dmwc16
on Feb 4, 2007 at 12:05:51 am

Thanks for the response. Maybe you can answer another question for me. I've been looking for info on demo reels and such online and found that most include a "breakdown sheet" with their reel. However, it seems like it is mostly animators that do this. Is it customary to do the same thing for an editor's demo reel? It should be pretty clear that I edited everything that is on my reel since it is an editing demo reel and is labeled as such, but if employers are expecting a breakdown, I wouldn't want to disappoint. :) It's funny the things they don't teach you in school...

Thanks,
Dmwc

Return to posts index

Greg
by
on Feb 6, 2007 at 11:00:37 pm

The ar in editing a demo reel especially to show editing skills, is how can you communicate with the audience in your editing. Come up with an interesting idea to communicate your breakdown on your reel. How about using some title/slate descriptions in a creative way?

Return to posts index

mikegn
on Feb 13, 2007 at 12:16:37 am

Generally speaking, breakdowns are only for effects artists. If you do any keying/titling, you might want to have that breakdown in there....if not, just put a short montage of your best cuts in there. You can't really breakdown a picture editor's work; showing 2 pieces of raw footage and then the final edit is not exactly a good use of the viewer's time. ;)

"Roto is not a skill, it's a job."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]