FORUMS: list search recent posts

Reel Rough Cut (please comment)

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Heroic
Reel Rough Cut (please comment)
on Jan 14, 2007 at 7:10:47 am

I've been working on a reel during my free time, and this is what I have so far. I know it's longer then it should be, and I plan on cutting a few things out. It is also missing my name and info on both ends, I'm still creating those.

I'd like to know your opinions, comments, and suggestions.

Thank you for your time.

There are two links, One of a lower bit rate, but faster load time, and the opposite.

Link: http://homepage.mac.com/heroic2/iMovieTheater36.html (Fast Load)
Link: http://homepage.mac.com/heroic2/iMovieTheater37.html (SLOW)

Return to posts index

Greg
Re: Reel Rough Cut (please comment)
by
on Jan 14, 2007 at 11:43:08 pm

Very nice reel....nice stuff...you're clearly very talented. I think it's a bit too long, and I really didn't care for the music. I think you could use a more uptempo cut to add excitement to you reel

Return to posts index

Heroic
on Jan 15, 2007 at 12:00:48 am

Thanks for your input. Getting the right song is hard. I tried for something by RJD2 but all of his songs have static in the track, and I thought the viewer would think it was a compression error. I was trying for something not easily recognizable, and without words. So I picked this, which is from my favorite skate video. I know it's not the best choice, but it got me started.Happen to have an artist that you'd suggest?

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Greg
by
on Jan 15, 2007 at 6:11:49 pm

Heroic : [I was trying for something not easily recognizable, and without words. So I picked this, which is from my favorite skate video. I know it's not the best choice, but it got me started.Happen to have an artist that you'd suggest?]

How about something that's not copyrighted...look at some music libraries for some good up-tempo cuts. How would you feel if someone stole your car shots driving through the scene for their demo? Now imagine how a composer or artist feels when you use their music without permission?

Return to posts index

heroic
on Jan 15, 2007 at 7:31:40 pm

Greg,

I agree with you, but that's not the end of the story is it? Let me just say; this is not a final version, this is probably not the final song, and if I did intend to use it, I would ask permission, thus negating the need for your post. If I was unable to gain permission I would change it. I was asking for other songs/artists as reference. It's a bit hard to get an idea of what people want by, 'up-tempo.' For instance up-tempo, could mean techno, but I know from personal experience that many people dislike it. So I was looking for examples.

If you would like to discuss this further, I'd be happy to off of the forum. I don't think a forum dedicated to helping people create better reels is a place for a battle of ethics. Feel free to click the link I posted and hit the button 'send a message,' I'd be happy to hear from you.

Thanks again for you time and opinions.

Return to posts index

Greg
by
on Jan 17, 2007 at 12:47:52 am

I have no need to take this off of the forum. You asked for an opinion and I gave it. FYI, I wouldn't use techno either. Just an upbeat motivational cut of music. Try someplace like musicbakery.com. They have good inexpensive music.

Didn't mean to preach, but I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want to spend the cash to obtain rights to a song for a demo. Also, for what it's worth, sometimes ethics DO come into play in the video industry. I have no problem seeing them discussed, or discussing them on this or any forum.

Greg

Return to posts index

Brandon
on Jan 15, 2007 at 2:46:04 am

I agree with the above poster. Great concepts nicely done. I love the Nascars driving through the living room ripping up the floors and wall. Did you do all of that work yourself, all the 3D stuff?

Return to posts index

Heroic
on Jan 15, 2007 at 3:02:01 am

Thanks. I didn't do any of the 3D. Just composite, roto, color correction, particles, and key. The piece was three parts, one of a rock stage, nascar, and nasa shuttle launch, all the same concept. I did all the composite, and motion graphics for Nascar, and a few other things for the rest. The final supposedly played in Best Buys on their HD displays, but I never got a chance to see it.

Return to posts index

Brandon
on Jan 15, 2007 at 9:07:33 pm

Well, you're pretty talented. Good work...I would love to see the final reel.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]