FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDM Demo Reel

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Xander
XDM Demo Reel
on Jan 7, 2007 at 9:55:44 pm

I expect to keep working on this thing indefinitely but I need to find work right now so this is what I've got to show for the last few days. I have purposely kept it down to 1 minute. I would appreciate any constructive comments or advice that you might have to offer. Thanks.

Alexander Ruurs
info@xanderdigitalmedia.com

Demo Reel

Return to posts index

mostvaluableplayer
Re: XDM Demo Reel
on Jan 9, 2007 at 2:54:16 am

It's not exactly clear what services you offer. At first, it looks like I'm about to see a motion graphics reel, but then the rest of the reel suggests editing. In terms of visual style, the open sequence is very geometric. Again, fine for editing, but if you are pushing the graphics and design services, it needs more.

Return to posts index

Xander
on Jan 9, 2007 at 5:31:14 am

Thanks for your review... I'm trying to be somewhat general with the demo - shooting and editing are my primary money makers right now but I am quickly getting a reputation as a capable independent producer (very independent so far but starting to freelance for other, more established companies). I wanted to promote "production services" in general. Do you think that's a bad angle?

Return to posts index

Michael
on Jan 9, 2007 at 3:26:27 pm

Perhaps, if you want to be viewed as a full service production company, you could display more examples of completed work. And state your services on your site.

Return to posts index

Xander
on Jan 9, 2007 at 6:38:49 pm

A detailed overview of the services that I offer is found on the "Services" page of the site.

Return to posts index

kaptivate_ag
on Jan 14, 2007 at 1:42:56 pm

In regards to embedding QT, never embed more than one media file per page unless they have playback control (eg, press play to begin). Nothing annoys me more than sites hogging bandwidth by progressivley downloading two clips when I dont even want to see the other one. Put a link to the other one. It's also confusing, that should go under a "case study" or under a article tagged with that type of project.

Also, I found your "intro" to be too long, it took up half the reel. Most clients couldn't tell the difference between a FCP logo and a AFX logo, its clutter and it doesn't fit with any design that you may have with the rest of the reel. The mask reveals look pretty cheezy too (but again, some people like that) so it really depends what market you are looking at.

Rather than trying to appeal to a broad market (which no reel will) and throwing everything out there, put your best stuff out for the types of jobs you want to do and that you can easily make money on.

My thoughts I guess...
Flames welcome!

Return to posts index

Xander
on Jan 14, 2007 at 8:01:39 pm

Thank you for your thoughts.

I have decided to rework the reel. I will be seriously taking into consideration the advice offered in this thread.

Much appreciated.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]