FORUMS: list search recent posts

Demo Reel

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
randy j
Demo Reel
on Nov 28, 2006 at 1:46:03 pm

Here is my first demo reel that I might actually show.
I did everything. Camera, editing, animation...
So critique on all aspects are welcome.

http://www.randyarchy.com/video1.html

Return to posts index

IgalMR
Re: Demo Reel
on Nov 28, 2006 at 2:54:21 pm

Very nice,
How did you do the beginning with the compass, which program did you use?
About the rest of the Demo, I think you have to much of the interviews (the lower thirds), I am also not to experienced in this things but one thing that I've learned from watching other demo reels and reading the posts is that the demo reel needs to be short without repeating anything and try to use everything in short amount of times.Try to take a little bit more of the interviews and also the truck, and I think its going to be very nice, also does it finish like that or is it supposed to finish in black???
Good work

Please check out my Demo, I would appreciate your input.
http://www.igalmr.com

Return to posts index

randy j
on Nov 28, 2006 at 3:39:37 pm

I used cinema 4D for all the 3D stuff.
I thought about only using one or two interviews but since I am using this reel for camera too I thought it might be nice to see a little more of the most common situations, same applys to the industrial shots.

The dvd version just jumps to the menu, and since I dont have the menu online I cut the black off so that my name would be there as long as the viewer chose.

But if it is too much...

/Randy

Return to posts index

Mike Wavrecan
on Nov 28, 2006 at 11:44:12 pm

Hey Randy,
Nice to see you online. Not bad, I generally like to hear audio under interviews. If this reel is for camera then use the best images you have. If editing, allow the audio to come up and bring in a few of your nicest edited pieces. Right now it's pretty good for animation. I would shorten it a bit though, or speed up the pacing a bit to keep the intesity over the interview section.

But what do I know? I haven't ever posted a reel... on that note, I just posted my old reel on a friends site.

http://www.mottie.com/reel/mike_reel.mov

Check it out. Let me know.

Cheers!
Congrats on the nice piece too! Remember to kick some work my way once you're client list becomes too big.

mike.

Return to posts index

Greg
by
on Nov 30, 2006 at 4:15:45 pm

Randy
I think you need to segment your demos into different reels. For example a videography, editing, and graphics/motion reel. This one is just too disjointed. I must say, I think you do nice work. But as a producer/director, if I'm looking for a shooter, I rather not sift through all of the other stuff to see his/her best work. The same goes for editing or graphics. I prefer to look at reels that feature what I'm looking for. If I'm looking for a new Honda Auto, I don't

I really like to open film cannister, and the name change on the brick background.

I agree with previous posts about hearing the voice with talking heads. I'm not sure if you want to include the gal with the face piercings. Depends on your audience. I prefer to keep my footage generic for all audiences. Nice work though.

Return to posts index

Kyle Romaneck
on Nov 30, 2006 at 8:57:56 pm

I would definitely shorten it quite a bit. The shots are nice but they all stick around too long before cutting to the next shot. People are usually able to interpret all the information they need to in a still or slow moving image in two seconds or less, and then it's time to move on. Especially with the faster pace of the rock song playing over the video, you want don't want the clips to appear slow compared to the music. I also agree that you should seperate your animation work from your video work, and perhaps make two smaller, more focused demo reels. There are some nice shots in here, it could just stand to be tightened a bit. Remember, shorter reels are often more effective than longer ones.

Kyle

Return to posts index

randy j
on Dec 2, 2006 at 11:37:36 am

mmmm,
I understand about the interviews and seperating the animation from the video but do you think that my reel should be shorter?
Or more concentrated, becuase it is only 1 minute now...and with less interviews and a faster pace I am looking at 40- 45 seconds. I know that it should be short and sweet but 40 seconds?
Please keep in mind that I do have a decent sized archive to pick from.

Thanks for the comments
Randy

Mike we should get another project going.

Return to posts index

randy j
REVISED
on Dec 2, 2006 at 12:53:28 pm

I tried with just the animation...everything has been trimmed a little bit, and a lot removed. I also added some sound fx...I am not sure if I like it though. Please let me know. Thanks.

http://www.randyarchy.com/video1.html

Randy

Return to posts index

Kyle Romaneck
Re: REVISED
on Dec 16, 2006 at 6:56:19 am

The music seems to work OK. As for the video, it seems like the reel starts out strong and then seems to lose a bit of quality when you get to the live-action stuff, especially the shot of the lady in front of the school. I'd ditch that clip all together. Maybe put in more shots of those sweet 3-D environments you made in there?

kyleromaneck.com

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: REVISED
on Dec 23, 2006 at 5:40:14 pm

15 megabytes for 25 seconds? You couldn't have gotten the compression down a bit? I have 2 minute clips on our site that are aboout 6 megs. I think you could compress it down a bit and it will load faster and play bck better.

Sorry to complain but I get tired of enormous demo reels that take forever to load with little payoff.

Just venting.

Sorry to pick on you.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]