FORUMS: list search recent posts

First Demo Reel, I need a lot of input please

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
IgalMR
First Demo Reel, I need a lot of input please
on Nov 27, 2006 at 8:55:16 pm

Hi everyone,
Well I've been checking a lot of Demo Reels lately and I've notice that a lot of people are very professionals or at least have very advance stuff, like NHL, NBS or TV programs, I really have no experience in any post-production, I learned everything by myself doing online tutorials. As you are going to be able to see I dont have to much footage so this is almost everything that I have done, the music was also made by me on Soundtrack Pro. I need input please. Also, one of my strong points is the DVD Menu creation, for all those experienced designers, and editors, when I send my Demo Reel to a company to apply for a Job, should I use an elaborate Menu or I should make it as simple as possible? I know everyone says that the shorter the better, so what do you think.

Ok enough talking please check out my Demo at:
http://www.igalmr.com

Thanks,

Return to posts index

randy j
Re: First Demo Reel, I need a lot of input please
on Nov 28, 2006 at 3:46:29 pm

It took a really long time to download, maybe that has nothing to do with you but so you know.
All round it was smooth. I found there was a lot of text, by the end its all I was seeing. I also saw that many of your effects were lacking depth, mostly the fire works and such but you did manage to capture some depth with the basket ball graphic, so that might be something to look at.
I am not too sure if the DVD menu is a good thing...nice menu ...but I was not sure what it was at first.

hope this helps
Randy

Return to posts index

Greg
by
on Nov 30, 2006 at 4:53:21 pm

Nice work considering you are self-trained. I really like the reel, however lots of the footage shot is very amateur. But if you're going for graphics design/motion work, I think you're on the right track.

I like the music and energy, although I feel the reel is too long and thus the music started bothering me as it kept going.

As far as the DVD menu, I would avoid doing that for a demo reel, since you really don't have enough footage to warrant using a Menu. I do like the menu samples you show on the demo, but I think you need to have a graphic title that says "DVD Menu Samples" so the viewer know what they are seeing.

Overall very nice job!

Return to posts index

igalmr
on Dec 1, 2006 at 2:31:24 pm

Greg,
Thank you for the feedback. Regarding the DVD Menu, you think I should make the Demo play right of the bat, because I was thinking of doing something like an informative Menu were they can see that everything in the Demo was made by me, like the Music, Motion Graphics..... Nothing to complicated or long. Does that sound better or still you think I shouldn't I use it? About the footage, well I know there is no good footage, I am using a personal video camera to shoot, I am planning on buying a more professional camera later on.
Do you have any Demo or anything that I can take a look at?

Thanks for you reply.

Return to posts index

Greg
by
on Dec 2, 2006 at 3:50:11 am

I just don't think you have enough footage to warrant a menu. I wouldn't use on on a demo. It will also take too much effort from those viewing your demo. It's better to wow the viewer with good high impact stuff.

As far as my demos are concerned, since I primarily do corporate video for large corporate clients, I put samples of different show on my website. I don't use a generic demo.

Return to posts index

john_xyz
on Dec 8, 2006 at 3:20:31 am

I think you've made a nice effort.

I think it might be too long right now. I also noticed some designs/elements were repeated. That might be a good place to start with the cutting.

I've found a good way to learn is to view other people's work. Looking at the reels in this forum is a good place to start.

Also, http://www.motionographer.com is an excellent site with many links to work that may inspire you.

Good luck.

John

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]