FORUMS: list search recent posts

Looking for comments on my reel :-D

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chris forrester
Looking for comments on my reel :-D
on Nov 12, 2006 at 1:17:31 am

Well im pitching myself as a compositor more so than motion graphic design, so I hope this reel gives the correct impression.
Being the way some jobs are you cant see what work has been done on some scenes (some of you might :-P ) so I have be trying to decide how to best present some of those clips to show good technique and if it is required.
My thoughts were not to clutter the reel with examples (ie removing rigging) as I want to show the jobs I have been involved with and keep the reel punchy. I would show full jobs with examples of before and after clips perhaps running along side of each other later on as there own section, good idea or bad?
I do plan to develop my website further so I have full adverts available to view, plus some movies that describe what was changed or done shot by shot, these movies ideally would be able to be used on my DVD reel which I hope to be my main source of showing my work. But this might change depending on feedback :-D
Lastly do you think I realy need to state my job title along with my name?...I felt no need as I do want to keep involved in different areas, I come from an animation background and use flash/moho and Afx for animation also, and would like any potential clients to know those skills from my initial contact with them depending on whom im pitching myself to plus I dont really like job titles lol.

All feedback is welcome not had to do a reel before so lets see how it goes before it goes to my DVD burner :-P

it can be viewed at http://www.twistedanimator.com (requires flash 8 I believe, but there is also a link to a quicktime .mp4 file (approx 15MB the flash file is a little larger at 17MB)
Many thanks
chris

Return to posts index

Eric Lagerlof
Re: Looking for comments on my reel :-D
on Nov 16, 2006 at 5:59:28 pm

A lot of great stuff. Having just got back into Moho myself, it's great to see some ideas of what can be done with it, like your universal man icon playing the different sports. That's a cool bit, however, not so much for the compositing side of things. The Nestles' piece is much more an example of compositing, especially having the ?rabbitt? placed between foreground and background elements. (Did you do the 3-d as well?) The overall effect is the reel of an animator who can composite. On the before/after compositing idea, it would be great on a few pieces, as a taste, but I wouldn't do it throughout, as the whole meal. I liked all the pieces but some looked either from an earlier period or just less polished, my reactions went from wow to ho-hum, that would take no more than an hour... You could definately be more selective and still have enough for a good reel. Again thanks, some great stuff.

Return to posts index

chris forrester
on Nov 17, 2006 at 1:14:56 am

Many thanks for viewing the reel and leaving some very good feedback.
From the compositing side of things though im concerned that I will have to show some ads shot by shot with descriptions of what was done. As you rightly point out some look like they could be knocked out in an hour and are not alot of work. Work that was done for example on the nesquik ads would be removing the "wired" remote control from the fire engine (it wasnt radio controlled ), totaly new skies, cat flap being reduced in size all with there wobbly camera moves, also remembering now the pain when they said to me in the tent scene where they run away "we like this boy who is pointing...but we dont like the way he is pointing in that shot we like this hand from that shot...ohh and the boys running away we like a different shot can you just merge them.." :-P how I hate rotoscoping and shakey camera moves. Im hoping my DVD might address some of those issues...Any thoughts on that ..think it might be enough?

Oh the only 3d I did was any 3d AE comps, and the pizza box...I vowed never again lol, 3D tracking is like the main course after your starters of rotoscoping (the backgrounds were liveaction some have thought them to be 3d).

Care to describe some of the weaker shots for me, I would be interested to know your thoughts. Quite rightly you point out some are from my early days...im just hoping the ones you mention are not my recent bits :-P

I love MOHO I just wish AE had a similar way of distorting pictures like moho does with the bones method so controlable and I know it would be a plugin id use so much for my kind of work. If you hadnt checked there site though recently its been purchased and is now anime studio there is a link on lost marbles website if I remeber rightly.

Again many thanks, im hoping you come across my reply and are able to spare a few more minutes to reply as I tinkering on the edge of trying a shorter version party because of your feedback but also because one of friends said "ohh lots of chocolate in your reel" so im thinking maybe cut some of them out so it is a little more balanced.

Anyone else with comments or agreeance to the above?

Return to posts index

Midicon
on Nov 28, 2006 at 2:42:30 pm

Hey i liked your reel... the music was good and the compositing was good, but as said earlier there wasn't much compositing examples but the ones you have shown were good... the only thing i would say is that it was way to long, use the hook and bridge on the music to shorten the reel and then just show the composit work that you have down and you won't need to worrie about if this is a motion graphic reel or a compositors reel... and always remember hit them with your best stuff don't show everything... but over all good reel!!

M

Return to posts index

chris forrester
on Nov 29, 2006 at 10:58:28 pm

Thanks for the comments Midicon, Im definatly going to try and cut it down shorter. I have been watching alot of reels and some from the posthouses and they are all very quick/punchy and to the point. Im definatly in agreeance with both comments so far now, especially now I have had time to look back on my 1st cut. I had added some clips onto the end of the compilation which were not there until after Erics comments, I want to present some of these quicker also...how many times does someone want to see sinking chocolate lol
Thanks for your time lets see what will be left after its been on the cutting board :-P

Regards
Chris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]