Demo Reel: Howto 'shock and awe'

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
rcmaples
Demo Reel: Howto 'shock and awe'
on Oct 5, 2006 at 5:40:44 pm

Hi all,

I've got a current demo reel up at http://www.rcmapes.net/reel.html

However, the only footage I have to put on it is some b-roll I shot for a project about a Fiddle shop in Nashville, TN. It was shot for a news peice and, frankly, isn't all that interesting. I have some other things that were more interesting and faster paced and more apt for a "whiz-bang" demo reel, but the tapes dont seem to want to play in my GL-2 for capture. I also have some things on DVD but I don't know how to get it off the DVD and into either my Avid or my FCP machine. I don't have any fancy decks or anything. I'm just running AXP and FCP on a mac g5.

So I'm guess I'm asking how can I pull my projects off their individual DVDs to get to their footage to splice into a reel? Also, how can I get some more interesting footage without first getting work?

Currently I freelance for Bellsouth in atlanta. At present, I function as an editor / edit-assist. I get to do stuff for them that is less graphics intensive. I'm trying to learn after effects right now, but all the projects I've done for Ma' Bell is just talking head type stuff. Again, not too interesting.

Feel free to take a look at my current reel and give some pointers..
Also, if you know how to demux a dvd for use in a NLE, thatd be a big help too!

Thanks,
RC Maples

--
Doobie Doobie Doo
beware the penguins

Return to posts index

rcmaples
Re: Demo Reel: Howto 'shock and awe'
on Oct 5, 2006 at 7:52:05 pm

Typo up there guys.. my reel is @ http://www.rcmaples.net/reel.html

Left the L out of my own name... d'oh!

rcmaples.

--
Doobie Doobie Doo
beware the penguins

Return to posts index

Howe20
on Oct 11, 2006 at 3:26:45 am

A program called DVDxDVPro is the best for OSX- I had to edit an african safari shot on those crappy DVD cameras once-this app came in pretty handy. I think it's about 20$ or so. you can capture VOBs and VIDEO_TS files from the dvd and convert them to editable .movs

Return to posts index

Howe20
on Oct 11, 2006 at 3:34:00 am

I checked out the reel and I'm not too fond of the swinging text, but thats just me. I would invision, for that footage, more of feathered edges on the transitions and a cursive or sarif font. I don't know if the psychadelic thing works for that particular footage-but like I say it's really just preferance. The music pacing was done well. Good luck on your "shock and awe" reel.

Return to posts index

rcmaples
on Oct 12, 2006 at 2:41:49 am

Yeah, the 'psychadelic' stuff is actually the footage of the water skier in a kaliedascope effect... The footage was the only thing I was able to get to transfer propperly. The other footage wouldn't capture. I need to check and see if the tapes were in LP instead of SP, but at this point I dont have any other footage that is editable other than the fiddle shop guys.

Anyway, Alot of the whizbang reels I see have alot of motion graphics in them. So I guess its time I started hashing out some stuff with After Effects and making myself into a graphics guy as well. For now I guess what I have will serve as reference on how not to do it.. but prove that I can do nests/layers and such in Avid... (I was trained on FCP, so Avid was a new ball game for me to learn)..

Thanks for the feedback, i'll try out that DVDXDVpro thing.

--
Doobie Doobie Doo
beware the penguins

Return to posts index

Greg
by
on Nov 2, 2006 at 9:47:27 pm

Try Mpeg Streamclip....It's a free download. You can take your DVD VOB files and convert them to quicktime to edit in FCP. Find it here:

http://www.squared5.com/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]