FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do you put together a good Editing Reel?

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mr_gfx
How do you put together a good Editing Reel?
on Oct 1, 2006 at 3:37:10 am

How should one put together an Editing Reel? I understand how to make a motion graphics reel but i am confused on the editing reel.

I know that you have to impress the viewer within the first 10-15 seconds or your Reel is going to the trash can. How do you do that with an Editing Reel? a motion graphics reel is much simpler to define in that sense because if your stuff isn't cool in the beginning its trashed.

it seems to me that many Editing reels posted on here are just a music track with random footage cut to the beat. Not very impressive to me. Anyone can make a Cut on a Music Beat.

Or it is a Commercial SPots reel that shows a couple of Broadcast Televison Show teasers back to back.

I have not done any of those types of commercial spots in my career. I have only edited pieces that include interviews with b-roll over top. They are not that exciting. Purely cuts and dissolves.

So i am not sure the best way to make my Editing reel so that it does not get put directly in the trash can. I fear just putting 5 of my best edited pieces back to back because that would end up being an hour long reel, which noone will watch. And hey dont start off that exciting. Just a person talking and then b-roll over top.

So here is what i was going to do.....I thought about taking the edited pieces i have done and tweaking the footage so that it shows a few seconds of the interview and then a cool transition to the b-roll and then maybe a few seconds of another part of the interview, and repeat. But spicing it up with cool glowing transitions and directional blurs and color effects. And only making it like a One Minute Editing Reel. So, then it would kind of be like my own Commercial TV spot Teaser like i mentioned above but to tease my own edited pieces. Even though the real pieces are not edited as cool.

Is that a good idea or a bad idea? because then, i am not really showing the edited pieces as they were originally edited. they are a spiced up version for my demo reel itself.

I am just thinking that someone who wants to hire you would want to see that impressive looking stuff as opposed to the five seperate 10 minute boring cuts only interviews.

any thoughts on putting me in the right direction would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: How do you put together a good Editing Reel?
on Oct 1, 2006 at 1:32:19 pm

Not sure if it's the best format, but I've gotten interviews with it and a few jobs and offers.

Pretty much, I have a 15 second open to slate, quick little montage. Then a reel around 4.5 minutes. Showing snippets of 8 edited pieces. Since I'm on DVD now, it then goes to the menu, which offers a link to the the demo and a link to all the pieces(final edits) shown in the demo portion of the reel.

This is my way of covering my bases, in the demo portion, I keep it interesting, showing a variety of styles and subjects, fast paced, slower, interview....but also give the option of seeing the entire piece, tp whoever is interested in seeing a more complete view of how I edit.

I know most people here believe in the rule of nothing more then 2 minutes, but I think that's more for mograph, where editing people need to see a little bit more of how you work a subject.

anyway, just my 2 cents.

Johnny Cuevas
Editor/Mograph
CK & Co

Return to posts index

person
on Oct 2, 2006 at 5:34:55 pm

hi,
in reference to your questions regarding spot/commercial work:

you can check out my spot reel at http://pupo.com/kelly

95% of what i cut is higher end spot work for ad agencies. Avoid putting your contact info on the reel. that is what the label and biz card is for. a simple name/logo is all that is needed. it might be different for client direct and local retail spot stuff however. show your best work only. keep the reel around 5 min or shorter. they remember you more for the bad than the good. bigger ad agencies have many many vendors available to them from all over the nation/world, and showing bad or so so work puts you on the bottom shelf.

Since you have no spot work, then you have no spot reel. the focus should be to build up the reel with solid creative work. Usually working for little or no money is helpful, but make sure it's something that will benefit your reel. doing local retail work for free won't build your reel or reputation.

good luck.

Return to posts index

Andrew Schuurmann
on Oct 2, 2006 at 7:50:33 pm

Thanks for this thread! I've been debating the exact same thing. Would you agree that music videos/concert videos would also fall into this style of reel? As with spots, it seems that it's more important to see a portion of a music piece instead of just rapid fire cuts to a totally different music bed.

Andrew

Return to posts index

person
on Oct 2, 2006 at 9:36:18 pm

a lot of commercial editors also cut music videos and visa versa. and some put both spots and short segments from music videos on a reel. or end the reel with a couple complete mv's. or just have a mv reel. i guess if you are an editor with a lot of mv experience, but little spot work you might be able to mix the two to help boost the reel. though i have to say that most agency folk really are only looking for conceptual spot work. but sometimes the mv can be interesting enough to captivate them becasue of a certain style or look they may want to try. i wouldn't put montages on a reel. they just seem to get in the way. fluff.

Return to posts index

mr_gfx
on Oct 2, 2006 at 9:24:45 pm

you said to not put contact info on the reel?

As in do not put a Contact Info button link on the Main Menu of the DVD? Take it off?

Motion Graphics Artist and Non-Linear Editor
Software expertise include: After Effects, Avid Xpress Pro, Final Cut Pro, Dvd Studio Pro, Photoshop, and more.

Return to posts index

person
on Oct 2, 2006 at 9:37:22 pm

i guess if you are doing the dvd menu thing you could have a seperate frame for contact info, but i would leave it off the actual reel itself. keep it simple and quick.

Return to posts index

Reloaded
on Oct 9, 2006 at 2:20:01 pm

Take a look at Scott's demo reel at the begining os this page. This is the best Editing Demo I've seen.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]