demo reel for review
on Sep 19, 2006 at 8:09:20 pm

What do people think?

Return to posts index

Greg
Re: demo reel for review
by
on Sep 22, 2006 at 6:04:06 pm

Sorry to tell you this, but it's pretty boring. First it takes about 30 to 45 seconds before anyone sees a first clip on your demo. Who cares about seeing your face. Also, WE KNOW ALREADY...you're a graphic artist and editor....WE GET IT!

I really didn't see much showing your editing skills as much as your motion design skills. Also, most of your on-screen summaries are considerably longer than the clip itself.

You must have full shows where you can show edited clips to demonstrate how capable you are as an editor. Perhaps you could use two segments

Segment #1 Motion Graphics Show quick cuts of your best stuff

Segment #2 NLE Editing Again sow edits that demonstrate your editing ability.

Oh Yeah.... I hate the music. Sorry.

Return to posts index

PRSteve27
on Sep 26, 2006 at 3:25:48 pm

Thanks for the comments Greg - is there anyone out there who agrees with Greg? Disagrees? Agrees with some parts but not others?

Still looking for more thoughts...

Return to posts index

Terry Hahin
on Sep 29, 2006 at 6:14:57 pm

Hello,
it is a little dull. The music sits in the background not really moving a dynamic tempo, sounds like outro credits for a training video.

I would suggest reworking the structure and making it much shorter. The explanations of each clip don't say very much about you, and are quite long. Also, the fact that you have short clips first followed by long ones is confusing to me. 2 minutes tops is always a safe bet for length.

Some of the work is nice, it just needs a lot of punch.

Hope that helps,
Terry

Return to posts index

teerav
on Oct 5, 2006 at 3:02:33 pm

yes, some work will have to be done. First of all. you have to understand that most likely the person reviewing your demo, is also reviewing it along with 100's others. You want to get into it quick. its not a self-biography, its a Demo. the second they get bored (in your case, right away) they throw it in the trash and watch the next one while anticipating their upcoming lunchbreak. No one cares about your titles or known software. and the "myspace" clips of yourself in the beginning must go. like i said, you want to get right into it. as the previous posts say, lose the tune, and go with something waymore upbeat. also remember that usually, not always, but usually the person reviewing a demo, most likely has some sort of experience themselves, they're probably gonna be able to tell what software or kind of software you used, and realisticly what it took to design/"Execute" the animation. all that kind of stuff belongs on your paper resume, leave the visual for something flashy. also, dont repeat clips. it's obvious when its done and looks like a shortcut approach to fill time. when editing your next one. think..... [ Music Video ]

Return to posts index

PRSteve27
on Oct 12, 2006 at 1:40:14 pm

Thanks all for the responses. Clearly I have some work to do - I'll get to it and repost in the future.

Thanks,
Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]