FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trailer, not a demo...

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Harry Pallenberg
Trailer, not a demo...
on Aug 23, 2006 at 4:39:01 am

Hi, sorry to post a trailer not a demo here, but we wanted to get some feedback. This was cut with only about 80% of the doc shot.
Be honest, and thanks!

http://www.womeninboxes.com/

Thanks,
Harry.

Forum Cowmunity Leader: OSX
Forum Cowmunity Leader: Indie & Doc

Dual 1.8 G5 ** 1GB ** 10.4.1

Return to posts index

tony salgado
Re: Trailer, not a demo...
on Aug 23, 2006 at 5:07:10 pm

Harry,

What is up with the interview shooting style? The massive head room on top is interesting but disjointing because other interviews are framed up tighter. There is enough head room to fly a 747 over the interviewees. This style works great on commercials but I in my opinion not for a documentary.

Was this shooting style introduced after other interviews were shot?

Tony Salgado

Return to posts index

Harry Pallenberg
on Aug 24, 2006 at 4:23:09 pm

It was a creative choice to get as much of the crazy background in the shot as possible...
and just in case a 747 came through....

Thanks,
Harry.

Forum Cowmunity Leader: OSX
Forum Cowmunity Leader: Indie & Doc

Dual 1.8 G5 ** 1GB ** 10.4.1

Return to posts index

predator
on Aug 24, 2006 at 11:51:22 pm

you've got to make it more punchy. Change the music, tighten up the opening. do something. Watch a few trailers on the apple site to get some ideas.

Return to posts index

Jim Zito
on Aug 26, 2006 at 4:59:08 pm

I didn't think the headroom was bad. I mean it's obvious to me it was an aesthetic decision to include the backgrounds, which are interesting and add to the character of the interviewee. It's one of those cases where it's ok to break the rules. This isn't local news or 60 Minutes. But I have to agree with the other poster that it needs to be tightened up a bit, especially the beginning. The titles and VO come too far apart. But I definitely think you got something interesting there that just needs some tweaking.

Good luck!

Return to posts index

tony salgado
on Aug 28, 2006 at 10:19:23 pm

To add more regarding my comment on the airline safe headroom technique.

It appears that a cute photographic style was used to overcome the lackluster content and editing pace but is so painfully out of place it makes the entire trailer one to skip.

Style over content does not equal a formula for success.

Yes indeed the pacing needs to be restructured to tighten up and hold the viewers interest and at the same time distract the viewer from grabbing the nearest RC model plane and try to fly circles around the interviewees head room.

Tony Salgado

Return to posts index

Greg
by
on Aug 31, 2006 at 8:20:59 pm

I have to agree with others here. This looks more like a short documentary than a trailer. It's too long with nothing really happening. A trailer is similar to a demo because it's main purpose is to draw the viewer in and make them want to see more.

You asked for honesty....I would try again if I were you. You need to make it more dramatic and compelling by cutting together very short soundbites with b-roll footage and the announce track. Also, do you have the rights to the music? BEWARE of copyright infringement, especially in a trailer.

Though the framing of the interviews does not really bother me like it does Tony, closer shots would tend to draw in the viewer and create a desired emotion. If you're going to use these "lots of head room" shots, you may want to consider using the rest of the frame for additional shhots of women being cut in half, etc.

Above all have some fun with this thing. It could be better by taking a moment and asking yourself, would I want to see film from this trailer? Good luck.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]