FORUMS: list search recent posts

Updated Reel - Any Feedback? I'll give you some candy!

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Diggy_D
Updated Reel - Any Feedback? I'll give you some candy!
on Aug 13, 2006 at 2:48:12 am

Hey All...

I'm looking to get a little feedback on my reel. The post house I work at is asking for reels...and I'm a little new so wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts. I've updated this since my previous post, but no one commented on that one!

Anyway, I'd appreciate some good 'ol industry feedback! And shame on you, didn't your mother tell you to never take candy from a stranger? Oh well...gotta get people to take a look anyway! Plus, postage on a tootsie roll is probably killer these days.

Thanks for your time.

Demo Reel - Quicktime Link

-Dave

http://www.davegorrie.com

Return to posts index

Mike_S
Re: Updated Reel - Any Feedback? I'll give you some candy!
on Aug 13, 2006 at 1:35:36 pm

I would take a look, but 45 meg is just too big a download for me without stronger motivation. So, on that candy ...!

Return to posts index

Diggy_D
on Aug 13, 2006 at 2:11:47 pm

Wait...It should stream just fine? If not, then I definitely owe candy! Let me know if it's not streaming so well, and I can post a smaller sized file that will stream a little better!

Thanks for at lease replying!
-Dave

Return to posts index

Mike_S
on Aug 14, 2006 at 9:22:23 am

OK today it streamed - don't know why it started to download last week.

These are slick, high quality promos, if all within the one (no doubt required) house style. Good work. The great raw footage obviously helps. For someone wanting this style of promo cut, this is a clincher.

It's always hard to spot in collaborative work who did what, so the residual question might be: did you cut these under supervision with a director / script, or were you given voice track and left to fill, or is it yours from concept out ..?

The one place you have tried to go beyond the reels to show yourself is your opening - and that's I guess the one where you want the biggest "bang" of good editing. Tricky, if editing is really about story telling - a lot of people fall into a graphics / effects trope of demoing striking visuals to a fast beat - not really a style of cutting anyone much wants to watch for long, nor an indicator of whether you can cut e.g. news, documentary, reality tv, drama ...

Which I guess leads on to where you want to go with this: editor as online finished / polisher of other people's stories / offlines, or editor as story-teller ... the answer to that might shape your focus.

But I digress: this looks polished, professional competent work - someone who can cut promos. Good stuff.

Return to posts index

Diggy_D
on Aug 14, 2006 at 1:32:58 pm

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the reply! I think you hit the nail on the head as for the "story telling" or "zip-zing-zowee" effect...I'm torn between both! While I'm primarily a promo's guy, I do get a chance every now and then to work on 3-5 minute presentations (like the exerpt I included from planet earth) and other special projects - for me anything over :60 is longform!

Thanks for the kind words...I am lucky to work in a killer facility. With that said, on most of the spots I included I did most of the motion graphics, editing, sound mix/design, and even a little-bit-o-producing. I typically work with a producer on most spots, but from time to time I'm allowed to run wild. I really tried to included the spots that I have put mostly my creativity into. I've left out about two dozen (or more) spots that I've created over the last year!

I've created another version of this (for full rez viewing) that has the breakdown of what I did on each spot, so that should explain it a little more. I didn't throw that up because who really wants to watch some hoser's reel 2 times? Anyway, thanks again for taking a look, I really appreciate it!

-D

Return to posts index

Diggy_D
More files to choose from! Small/Med/Large versions up!
on Aug 14, 2006 at 12:51:40 am

Hi All,

Hope this helps, let me know what you think! As always, I would go for the better quality files if at all possible - the 384Kbit QT streams nicely (so does the WMV I guess) and doesn't make me cringe too much when I look at it!

Here's a link to the folder:
Entire Folder

-Dave

Return to posts index

Bob Blaha
on Aug 15, 2006 at 12:59:53 pm

Sure offer some candy and then when it comes time to deliver you back out... just like my wife ;) (Only kidding dear...)

Impressive footage, a little long in the tooth for a demo though. Your open and close flow nicely, but then the promo section seems to slow. I found myself waiting for more and a little uneasy about it. Maybe because I have seen them all on air before, but not sure.

I asked myself is it your demo or a Discovery channel promo demo?

Just my 2 cents worth,

Bob

Return to posts index

Diggy_D
on Aug 15, 2006 at 1:25:30 pm

Hey Bob,

Thanks for the feedback! I had actually cut a few other promos out of this one to add in the planet earth piece...but I'll see what I can do for more time cuts! I really like the planet earth piece but I do think it slows the pacing down a little bit compared with the wizz-bang music I threw in there for the open/close. And I guess it is pretty much is a Discovery demo...that's all I've ever cut in the promo world! I've only been editing for a year or so, I've done a bit of stuff for my Church, but it's not quite the caliber stuff I've done at Disco (obviously!). I keep joking about it at work, but I haven't landed the big local furniture commercial gig just yet! I think that's a right of passage or something.

Thanks again for taking a look! Maybe next time I will really send some candy.

-D

Return to posts index

Reloaded
on Aug 16, 2006 at 3:14:17 pm

Great reel, really good.
I also loved the first song. Whats its name and what band?
Congratulations.

Return to posts index

Diggy_D
on Aug 16, 2006 at 4:50:21 pm

It's Cubicle, by Rin

Return to posts index

Trevor Ward
on Aug 16, 2006 at 9:02:18 pm

My 2 cents: Pretty long. Not necessarily bad. But you should have a short one. You've worked on some quality jobs. Don't know what you did on any of the jobs.

-trevor ward
orlando, fl

Return to posts index

Diggy_D
on Aug 17, 2006 at 1:13:43 am

Thanks Trevor!

If I ever hand this out to anyone, I've got a version with text overlay's of what I did for each spot. Most of them I included I did everything - editing, motion graphics, sound mix/design, pretty much everything short of producing/shooting (although I did produce a few of the spots on there!). I had way, way, way more spots to choose from I think...that might be why it's so long. I'm still trying to cut out a few that might not be the "best in show."

Thanks again for taking a look!
-D

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]