FORUMS: list search recent posts

latest version of my reel

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kenton.VanNatten
latest version of my reel
on Jul 19, 2006 at 6:39:36 am

I made some changes to things that had been bothering me...

This is mainly an editing reel, I don't market myself as a graphics person.

My main idea is to include the demo on a DVD with some longer form (5 mins?) samples showing my ability to cut storylines. I thought that this might entice the viewer to see more... which is the whole idea afterall, right?

Please review at http://www.kentonvannatten.com*

Thanks *requires QT7

Kenton VanNatten
Avid Editor (for hire)

Return to posts index

Greg
Re: latest version of my reel
by
on Jul 19, 2006 at 2:52:32 pm

Hi Kenton,

It's an "okay" reel. I felt the reality show segment was a bit too long, and the reel as a whole didn't quite display your editing skills. I looked at your website and there are a few other interviews from the Key West segment that might work.

I'm not sure what type of clients you're looking to attract, but you may wish to consider removing or at least bleeping the one comment regarding a male sexual organ. This may turn off some potential clients. It's probably fine if you're going after other reality show based clients.

You obviously know how to edit to music and tell a story.

Return to posts index

Kenton.VanNatten
Re: latest version of my reel
on Jul 23, 2006 at 12:49:15 am

Thanks Greg for taking the time to look at my reel and offer your comments.

Most of my work has been in realityTV/docu-drama type of stuff and so, I thought the absurdity of the statement about the male body part at least was an attention grabber. I intended to make it evoke some feeling (good or bad).

It's my assumption that everyone understands how ridiculously over dramatic reality TV can be and I wanted to more or less portray their "dramatic seriousness" in an amusing manner. More or less, showing all the somewhat "unintelligent" things that these people had said.

That section could maybe be a little shorter, and after a month or so, I will re-visit and see if there is anything I might feel I can lose from it.

As for including some quotes from the doc sample, I had given that serious thought, but decided against it because a) the only place I was planning to have any quotes was from the "Roomies" section b) the "Muriel" quotes are all included on the doc sample on the website and DVD c) I spent 5 yrs working on Roomies and 1 month working on the Muriel doc, so therefore, I wanted to sort of "showcase" the heavyweight stuff from my career more.

Thanks again for your comments, I hope more people view it and chime in.

Kenton VanNatten
Avid Editor (for hire)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]