I would appreciate any feedback on my reel. http://www.makewavesmedia.org/reel.html I'm starting to look for freelance motion graphics work so any advice in this area is welcome.
Hiya, Cincocinco. You've got some nice motion graphics work in there. You're definitely displaying your ability to go in 3D, at least in regards to 2 1/2 D (compositor versions of 3D in most cases).
(comments in order of reel)
- The bird's gravity (or lack thereof) kept distracting me. The bird looks nice but its motion is awkward.
- I like the 3D city and how its height and depth are revealed as we get lowered to the street. The squares to cars is a nice touch, don't see enough morph shots in motion graphics it seems like.
- I liked the now in bloom. The flowers are done well and the colors seem to go well together.
- ladybug is nice but we may not need the second shot. I know you were using it as a transition but it may be better to follow up the bridge after the first ladybug.
- The dimension studios does an unexpected and nice depth move near the end of its animation. It might be a bit long, though. I was tapping my keyboard on this one a little.
- The kaleidiscope
- the pre-flight check stuff doens't fit at all with your reel. I know you may be fitting motion graphics and editing into one reel but you need a way to transition better between shots.
- you go from video back to your bird ... not sure we need to see it again.
Actually the last half of your reel seemed superfluous - better to be short and sweet rather than too long and show not your greatest stuff.
You've got some cool motion graphics in there, I'd work on accumulating more, either through volunteer / internships or jobs. One thing I've learned is that a lot of work thrown your way is done so because you're available or simply because they know you - put your nose into some businesses and don't stop until you get some work. They'll either slap a court order on you to stop stalking them or they'll throw some work your way and admire your persistence. :-)
thanks for sharing.
(John David Hutton)
Build Your Own VelocityQ. See how:
Supermicro X5DA8, Dual Xeon 3.0 GHz
Windows XP Pro, SP1
VelocityQ, Version 9.1.41, Quattrus 140
VelocityX, Version 1.0.01
Kansas City, Kansas - United States
Thanks for the comments. It's nice to get good critical feedback for a change.