FORUMS: list search recent posts

AVP Promo

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
The Mon Chi Chi
AVP Promo
on Jun 26, 2006 at 9:38:32 pm

Hello all,

I wanted to get some creative critism of my work. I am an aspiring trailer editor who is looking to get a job with a trailer house.

Mainly I have been editing sports and model stuff, but am starting to edit already made movies to add to my reel.

All my stuff is on youtube, such as this AVP tour 2006 promo I did for the AVP myspace people. Let me know what you think.

...and if there is anyone who can give me some pointers on how to break into the trailer industry, that would be awesome.

Thanks for looking.

Return to posts index

mYthprod
Re: AVP Promo
on Jun 26, 2006 at 11:41:57 pm

That was a lot of white flashes. I think my eye is twitching ... find the white flash button on your keyboard. Now hit it with a hammer ... HARD. Don't ever push it again.

You're going to want to get some movie trailers under your belt. I wouldn't even try to use this to break into the movie trailer business, unless you want to edit movies whose themes center around volleyball.

Demo reel-wise, I don't know what the typical demo reel would be for a movie trailer editor per se, maybe someone in the know will pipe up. Demo reels typically move fast, have quick cuts keep the potential employer's attention so they'd be willing to look closer at some finished work. I would guess for you you'd want some brief shots from various trailers you've worked on composed in such a way that will make your potential employer want to see the movies you're advertising. There are scores of indepedent filmmakers scattered all over your area, hook up with them and make their movie look kick ass. The great trailer editor will make a crud movie great and a great movie unforgettable. The first rule in reel making (and writing and most other creative things you might do ... etc. etc.) is to consider your audience. Since I'm not your target audience I won't waste much space speculating on what they want or are looking for. It's probably a safe guess they'll want at least a smidgen of talent in advertising and a real solid feel for pacing and flow (just like any editing position).

Get some actual trailers together and then work on your reel. Pimp yourself out to indies, beg and plead to be with those who are already doing this (they'll either shoot you or hire you). You will find a lot of work when you're free ... :-)

Hopefully that's at least marginally helpful.

- MythProd
(John David Hutton)

Build Your Own VelocityQ. See how:
http://www.customflix.com/Store/ShowTtl.jsp?id=205835

VelocityX, Version 1.0.01
Kansas City, Kansas - United States

Return to posts index

Greg
Re: AVP Promo
by
on Jun 30, 2006 at 5:53:41 pm

I have to agree with John here. Basically your demo shows that you can make edits. But why shoudl someone hire YOU over anyone else with a computer editing system? If you're selling sportscars you don't bring a prospect pictures of washing machines. You bring them the car!

Go out and cut some indies stuff as suggested. Create 3-5 individual trailers with different styles, voice over or graphics where necessary. Good luck!

Greg

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]