FORUMS: list search recent posts

Check out my Reel!

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mr_gfx
Check out my Reel!
on Jun 21, 2006 at 2:45:52 pm

Check out my demo reel and let me know what you think!

http://www.petsandme.com/demoreel/demoreel2006h264.mov

Return to posts index

Greg
Re: Check out my Reel!
by
on Jun 21, 2006 at 3:12:02 pm

Great reel! Love the pacing, the editing, the music and of course the variety of the graphics. Overall a very nice reel!

Return to posts index

btveditor
on Jun 21, 2006 at 5:11:46 pm

Good day mr_gfx,

Very nice work, I have just two comments. First, on your reel itself, you don't have any treatment to say who you are, and second, I would have like to hear some of the music bridge and a little less sing in the middle. Other than that, you reel gave me a good idea of your composition, style and creativity.

btveditor

Return to posts index

mr_gfx
on Jun 21, 2006 at 7:38:45 pm

thanks for the reply.
i figured i would create a dvd menu for this demo reel that would contain my contact info, but that won't help me for the web. i will create one, thanks for noticing.

Return to posts index

mYthprod
on Jun 22, 2006 at 5:13:55 am

As far as the contact info if the movie's embedded in the page I wouldn't sweat the info being in the movie, myself. If they can look just off the movie and see your info that's really what you're looking for.

The work was cool and I liked the transitions, specifically the one cut up vertically and sweeping onto the page.

It felt like the reel was long to me. I tend to see logo treatments and wait for them to finish so maybe that's why it seemed that way. You could gather the logos all up and white flash between them or transition between them quickly somehow. It's good to show that you can do logo treatments because that's a common need, but it's not good to keep them up there for very long. A lot of the shots that had animation could be sped up to save on time. A good rule of thumb:

The shorter the shot, the longer they watch.

This isn't always true, just a good "general" rule. If you take this to the extreme and just show a few frames of a shot, they'll either go into a spasmic fit or turn the thing off and go watch someone else's. The shot should be longer if there's a lot going on, less if there's not. timing is subjective, for me the shots lingered too much. I know this may mean a re-edit of the music to fit but you may get shots matching more precisely with the beat than they are now.

(commenting in order of your reel)

Specifically, welcome to the 20th annual stuff at the beginning should not be at the beginning, first of all, and you may decide later it doesn't need to be there at all. Your good looking stuff should be at the beginning, at least for 5-7 shots until we relax into your reel. If we don't relax we close. The entire legislative thing after seems to just sit there instead of being in constant motion. I know it may be irritating at times when it seems we have to cater to the attention deficit crowd to make our reels, but you have to remember that your reel isn't the only thing they have to watch and do that day. This will be on their mind while playing. It's your job to take that off their mind. :-) The shorter the shots, the longer they watch (generally).

I'm not sure about boston's airport thing with the blue circle in the background. It jitters for me which tells me technical issues may not be your strong suit - I'd fix this or cut it. It doesn't do much for the piece so I'd save yourself some work and lose it (just my opinion).

Your cnn stuff is cool. Again, some may be lingering (30 minutes just sits there - I can read that fast, honest. :-P ). The cut vertical transition was cool after that shot.

The musician segment flowed pretty well and looked good.

I don't get the legislative round up. It looks like a colored still with 21/2 D text over it. I'd lose that shot, doesn't do anything.

The soft digicast stuff is cool, I like the blue and the colors. It looks clean and professional.

Lose aviation industry predictions. not only is it not doing anything, it lingers way too long.

Why is coming this week international aviation only up for 3 frames? It actually looks better than what it's sandwiched between. The from your daily diet isn't up there long either and that's got a nice look to it.

The espn X sports isn't doing anything either, although this is a big name so it lends a bit of credibility to you by including it on your reel (provided they were indeed a client or a client of your employer). I'd cut the first stuff out so it goes right to the guy with the cool #42 and video footage sliding on. I like those folderesque type graphics and they're popular these days.

The aviation issues and like graphics keep showing up and they really don't need to be there. If it's just a background with text, junk it.

The last 1/4 of your reel is starting to re-show work we've already seen in one form or another. This will hurt you and inspire an employer to stop watching about now. Slice and dice.

The thank you is a nice touch, I'd leave it in. Few demo reel's actually thank the viewers for their time.

That's all I got. Hopefully that was helpful.

- MythProd
(John David Hutton)

Build Your Own VelocityQ. See how:
http://www.customflix.com/Store/ShowTtl.jsp?id=205835

VelocityX, Version 1.0.01
Kansas City, Kansas - United States

Return to posts index

mr_gfx
on Jun 22, 2006 at 2:35:40 pm

thanks for the detailed observations i will consider them into the 2nd phase of my reel.

Return to posts index

mr_gfx
on Jun 30, 2006 at 4:46:31 pm

i updated my reel after reading the feedback. check out my post above entitled, "Updated Reel Check it out"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]