FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motion Graphics Reel

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Twinky
Motion Graphics Reel
on Jun 21, 2006 at 6:34:44 am

I welcome any constructive feedback. I don't get any responses from any jobs/gigs I apply for. So now I'm blaming my demo reel. What do you think is wrong?

Return to posts index

Greg
Re: Motion Graphics Reel
by
on Jun 21, 2006 at 3:22:17 pm

Hi Tim,

A few things. I like alot of your reel, but the music is a bit hypnotic. I think you should look at ading some energy to this reel in the form of quicker cuts and better music. Look at the demo reel above yours on this board. I felt your opening was too long, especially with the music. You should just kick right in and go! There are a few "weaker" graphics that you should consider removing like the ending cartoon characters. Nice drawings but I wasn't sure what they were for.

All other graphics were very nice. Also, nice transitions between them. You should be getting work...just add the energy.

Return to posts index

UCProductions
on Jun 21, 2006 at 3:53:41 pm

Your motion design is good; the music gets a little monotonous, so I would consider changing that. I might get rid of the army guy shooting up Iraq, because it is a rather unpopular war and you wouldn't want to offend a future employer. Your stuff is really good, but I didn't feel that what you ended on (the Hanna Barbara vector images) was your best stuff, maybe cut those and end with something more powerful. What settings did you use to export to the web?

Return to posts index

Midicon
on Jun 21, 2006 at 8:19:09 pm

Hey Tim

Your real is great... I really liked it...that probably isn't the reason your not getting work... the key is networking most of the work i get is all on who you know... it's a reality (and I would like to know if everyone else agrees with me)... most of the work i get is because of people that I know in the biz, (advertising, and commerical production) and to be honest you have alot more work in your reel than I do... also your reel is a bit long (mine is 1 min)... its hard to get people to look at your reel and even harder get them to sit there for an entire piece of music, so my only critisim is to shorten it up a bit only show the pieces that are the best...(you cartoon pieces could go)... and don't show all of your best keep them wanting more... the music is good but deffo needs to be a bit more upbeat... get out there and make your own opportunity, you'll be working soon you've got the talent...

Good luck

Rob

Return to posts index

mYthprod
on Jun 22, 2006 at 4:00:32 am

Business men have an infatuation with "accountability" - most figure if someone recommends someone else, they're putting their reputation on the line, so the recommended person must be trustworthy. In this way I agree with you, it's who you know. Not fair but true. :-)

- MythProd
(John David Hutton)

Build Your Own VelocityQ. See how:
http://www.customflix.com/Store/ShowTtl.jsp?id=205835

VelocityX, Version 1.0.01
Kansas City, Kansas - United States

Return to posts index

mYthprod
on Jun 22, 2006 at 4:39:04 am

This may be personal preference but I really don't like seeing the different facets you are capable of doing in a show reel. A reel should contain material, not describe what you do - that's for DVD jacket labels and DVD disc labels. If it's web-only then I can understand why you'd put that in there but the reel should really get the client excited about what you can do, the webpage can list what you're capable of doing. I do like how you did the effect around your name as well though, I would leave that in there and maybe use the time to fly in the name using the effect. It's a nice effect and I wouldn't lose it. If you really want to put the different categories in your reel (motion graphics, etc.) then list it on the screen during sections where you're actually showing those things. To just fly text around isn't very useful or efficient with time.

I like the motion graphics you've included, it looks clean and I like the combination of colors.

I don't know if I just noticed it too often but the mac and pc repairs was in there one or two too many times.

the map is pretty cool, I'm not sure if it needs the glowing green stuff in front of it but by no means change it if you don't feel the same way. I'd play with some color correction of the talent looking at us though, see if you can't more closely match the theme and color scheme of the map - I was thinking indiana jones but that may be cliche, that's up to you to decide. :-)

The underwater shot just after doesn't really fit and the water looks nasty. I would take that shot out.

It may be just that I read the online boards too much but the shine effect is almost taboo to use nowadays (secrets of the stone tablets). However, it's still true that clients are still impressed by this effect so it may help get you some jobs, depending on who your potential employers are.

The musician's ad is cool. I like how you separated him into pieces and then rolled them over to reveal a secondary picture on the flipside. I felt you should've ended that material right there though instead of showing me more. I get the point after that.

The video that's squares and turns over shortly after that doens't seem to fit and I'd remove it. It's just video cut up (or worse, a stock effect) and isn't doing anything for the piece.

I like the Kimball's carnival - simple yet elegant, with a touch of cool with some subtle effects in the background.

Sorry if I spell this wrong - the plorers can go away, it's not doing anything. The first shot anyway. The second shot with the figure and grid is cool, definitely leave that in. Don't worry about showing the logo before this, it's not important we know who the client is and what they do, it's your work you're showing. Hrmm ... you put the logo again at the end of this, this can be cut. Again, not doing anything. Same for the layouts after. Cut it.

Someone else already mentioned the iraq thing. I like the newspaper / comic style you did with the guy and the gun. I -would- take out the IRAQ part but to leave in the soldier shots wouldn't be in bad taste, I don't think. Do keep in mind though some places you may be pitching to may be ultra-conservative so shots like this may be enough to turn them off to you. On the other hand, some clients will notice shots like this and like you for taking the chance and being bold. Know your audience. :-)

I kind of like the spray paint -idea- but what you included doesn't do anything. What does he draw? Cut it or use it as a transition between your existing pieces.

The whole green glow and the DJ behind didn't turn out very well. I'd cut it or choose a different edit. There's a guy back there but ... so what?

Heh, I like the Zen Doom. It's a modern take on a very old game. The fact that zen and doom in there makes it appealing, at least to me. The fact that it's folded back gives it a little interest, and the background works for it.

I like the concept of the album flying through the air and the green glow coming off of it is pretty - it doesn't really get anywhere or do anything other than glow, so again choose a different edit or cut it.

The come on now eat your vegetables - cut it. You can fly text around. I would hope this would be apparent to your audience after they see your other work.

The last part of the reel is presumably showing off your illustration skills and this isn't an area I'm real familiar with so I'll leave that alone. I like the work and I assume you did that stuff, it looks really nice and sharp. It'd be kind of fun if you incorporated that into the reel (as transition or split screen or something) as opposed to being tacked on to the end of the reel.

It's a great start and I liked a lot of the things in the reel. Don't mean for this to be critical, I just had a few minutes and thought I'd comment in a linear fashion as I watched. :-)

Thanks for sharing.

- MythProd
(John David Hutton)

Build Your Own VelocityQ. See how:
http://www.customflix.com/Store/ShowTtl.jsp?id=205835

VelocityX, Version 1.0.01
Kansas City, Kansas - United States

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]