FORUMS: list search recent posts

Unique approach to editors reel, Feedback Appreciated...

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mabron
Unique approach to editors reel, Feedback Appreciated...
on Jun 17, 2006 at 3:43:04 pm

I am finally making the big move to LA after editing in a medium sized market for 10 years, I have finished my website and I am very curious of any feedback that you guys can share...

http://www.mattabron.com

Thanks for your time and consideration,
Matt

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: Unique approach to editors reel, Feedback Appreciated...
on Jun 18, 2006 at 12:08:10 am

Your "big move" to LA and the new website will get little feedback on this forum if we all have to apply for a username and password to see your work...how about a simpler link to some clips that we CAN see, without all the rigamaroll...

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

peterock
on Jun 18, 2006 at 11:35:29 am

why do you complicate things with annoying password stuff?
Probably nobody will watch your stuff if you hide it

Return to posts index

person
on Jun 18, 2006 at 2:49:07 pm

he's doing it for legal reasons. not sure why or how it works. all other sites don't do this. if a client has a problem, then remove that client's material. a cease and disist is about as far as they'll go. it's financially not worth it for them to to take you to court for showing your work.

Return to posts index

thewanggao
on Jun 19, 2006 at 5:09:33 am

Rich, maybe you didn't realize, but his reel was on the opening page, and no login was required. I assume that's only for client logins or something. So, take another look.

Alexander Gao

"When the revolution happens, I'll be leading it."

Return to posts index

Mike_S
on Jun 19, 2006 at 10:02:14 am

OK here it loads a Flash player and movie on the home page, alongside the log-in fields.

Thoughts on the movie:
How much did it cost you to clear the Buggles and Nelly music for the web? And all those archive clips?

I watched it first sound off, and it looked dated .... way beyond retro. Which I guess is the look you're going for. Not sure the "coming bang up to date" efforts at the end go far enough ...

It's not really clear what the "status" of the video is - is this your showreel? A clip from an item on a movie magazine show?

Nor on your input: did you write / direct / edit - I'm not sure there's any new filming or graphics in the reel ..?

The point you make is an obvious one, and won't meet too much resistance in a pro market - good people make good tv. Do you make the point tellingly / economically? And do you successfully align yourself as a "good person" ..?

And for the pro buyer of edit services, do you demonstrate good control of the medium / understanding of story telling / knowledge of current as well as past technology / background of editing at pace and collaboratively in a commercial environment? I.e. are you a potential hire? The feeling I took from this, rightly or wrongly, is that your interest is more in the writing / directing end of things .... Not that your message isn't smoothly enough told, for those who like retro, Buggles and Nelly!

As a minor point on web stuff: lack of a video scroll bar and maybe audio controls are not pluses. I had to hack off the cow error message to get to the page - I guess you left out the http part of the link? - and I agree with comments above that passwords look weird on a promo site.

Sorry to be negative!

Return to posts index

mabron
"In the future I would challenge this group, to try to give..."
on Jun 20, 2006 at 6:19:59 pm

Sorry for my delayed response, I have been pretty busy here,

Thanks for all of the above for taking the time.

First, i found it very interesting, that folks had a hard time defining what was the Demo Reel...As it plays automatically upon the launch of the page...easy, no?

Here is the thing with the username, Password fields, this is more for people that require more understanding of my exp. and editing producing styles. There is material that was done during the 2002 Winter Olympic Games that has very complex and old ownership rights that goes all the way to the IOC, and who needs to cause a problem. At the end of the day, The site was designed to create a demo reel that leaves the viewer wanting more...

The idea of the demo reel is to highlight my editing styles and exp. while telling a story of sorts, as i want to specialize in story telling and documentary editing and producing.

Everything there is either public domain footage, or the very stuff I have actually worked on; either as the editor, producer, or mograph design, and creative. ie, the Nelly stuff and the like. So I mean everything, is on my long form reels in the Archive, I simply used voice talent that I have worked with, and created the voice bridges and weaved my editing philosphy into a short brief "lookback". I thought the opening would help draw in my target audience. I found it a complement that one above thought the opening archive material was preedited and simply layed down, but, each clip and audio element came from almost 23 different sources and was hand placed to make that feel. I search public domain material for several weeks gathering the elements...That I thought more SR. professionals might enjoy and identify with. The protected area called the "Archive" is usually used when I am having a face to face, and want to make a point, or define somthing in my working past. It is a tool, for me and the people I want to work for.

I guess my final point is, I am very dissapointed that all except one of the above posters had more of a negative attitude about this, and mostly no one gave feedback...You guys can do better then that. I have been in LA for the last 3 weeks and actually had much better reaction to my site, go figure.

Was my email offensive?

In the future I would challenge this group, to try to give the kind of feedback that you would like to receive.

So again, does anyone have some constructive feedback?

Thanks,
Matt

Return to posts index

promoboy
Re: "In the future I would challenge this group, to try to give..."
on Jun 20, 2006 at 9:20:46 pm

People shouldn't "require more understanding of [your] experience and editing producing styles". That's exactly what your demo reel is for. A short (read again, short) teaser of your abilities and styles. Without a direct header that says "Demo Reel" or anything alluding to it, a video on your front page that tells me about TV doesn't look or feel like a demo reel--it looks and feels like an old piece about TV...the beginning wasn't bad, don't get me wrong...but nothing about it made me think it was a demo reel.

As far as being able to show that you can tell a story, the whole "archive" story about TV works. However, it should be something you show after your demo reel--Demo Reel, then longer pieces.

Also, once you get to the Nelly song--it went on way too long. I stopped watching. You had rap in the background with old men and cops talking in the foreground and it didn't work. My opinion, take it or leave it.

Also, this is exactly the kind of feedback I'd want. If I wanted someone to blow smoke up my rear and tell me it was an awesome reel with a concept the world has never seen and it totally works 100%, I'd show it to my Mom. I don't think it works, not for a demo reel.

Take all of this as constructive criticism. Your edits, overall, look good. It just needs to be tightened up with a much clearer message that says "this is my reel, this is what I do, and I can do this quality of work for you."

Best of luck in LA, I hear it's a tough market. I wouldn't want to be there.

Mike.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: More thoughts
on Jun 21, 2006 at 2:01:34 am

I actually thought the intro piece that played in the monitor was like a flash intro, and not the actual reel, so I immediately began clicking to find the reel. It was so unconventional that I got sidetracked into looking the the "real" reel, when I was watching it all along...although I never saw the whole thing.

Maybe a simple title page at the front that has your name and the words "demo reel" would clear up a lot of this banter.

I'm all for breaking conventions to stand out, but clearly your approach simply confused more than a handful of us Cow regulars...

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

Greg
Re: More thoughts
by
on Jun 21, 2006 at 3:43:53 pm

I've got to concur with the others here. I immediately began loking elsewhere for your demo reel. I've got to admit that this is one of the strangest demo reels I've ever seen.

A very interesting documentary maybe...but demo? No. Also, not being able to have any controls, like fast forward had me feel like a captive. It fel like I was sitting through one of those old biology films in junior high school. It didn't leave me wanting more...it left me yelling.."No More!!"

If there are clips on your site that are copy protected why not just use a password for those? No many people will take the time to create a password to view your reel.

Return to posts index

mabron
Loud and Clear, Thanks.
on Jun 21, 2006 at 4:35:04 pm

Took a chance, what the hell.

Thanks for your feedback.

Matt

Did help score me a gig, but the difference, I was able to verbally "set-up" the site.

Return to posts index

btveditor
Re: "In the future I would challenge this group, to try to give..."
on Jun 21, 2006 at 4:43:34 pm

Good day Mabron,

I'll play along with the password game, but as some of the members before my posting have brought up, "if I have to work this hard to get into your site, then I will move onto another editor's site that I can get easy access to."
That being said, I will give a fair judgement after viewing your reel.

btveditor

Return to posts index

milius.net
on Sep 5, 2006 at 5:00:20 pm

besides not hitting the peoples' definition of 'demo real' here in this forum I think your website and content is really really well done ...

thx,
oliver
http://www.milius.net

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]