FORUMS: list search recent posts

editing demo reel

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
peterb
editing demo reel
on Jun 13, 2006 at 9:30:43 pm

here is my question because i think i may have been doing it wrong all the time.

for my editing demoreel, i would show some clips of conversation, but i would not play the audio (dialogue), instead i would have a music track playing through the background through the whole thing. I would pretty much be showing my picture edit and not how i cut the audio with the picture. should i always leave in the original audio from the picture cut rather than just replacing it with music?

cheers

Return to posts index

btveditor
Re: editing demo reel
on Jun 13, 2006 at 9:57:21 pm

Good day peterb,

What good are clips of conversations if your audience isn't able to hear the dialogue? That being said and since this is your demo reel, what am I the view supposed to take away from watching your demo? With or without the music? If you are just putting together a montage of shots to music, than your demo should basically give me an idea that you can put video to music to tell a story. If you keep the dialogue, than I can get a better idea of how you edit. It allows me to see your pacing, timing, and how the scene cuts together.

In my demo I have about a minute montage at the top to give the viewer an idea of what I have worked on and what companies, agencies and networks I have edited for. (I have been in the business for almost 20 years, so my montage has a broad scope of clients.) The rest of my demo is made up of little segments of things I have worked on, usually a minute or so each, but depending on who I am sending it to I may include upto a four or five minute segment. I'll give them the longer clip so that they can get a better idea of what my style is.

btveditor

Return to posts index

mYthprod
Re: editing demo reel
on Jun 13, 2006 at 10:48:53 pm

I don't know if there will be a cut and dry answer to this as it will differ depending on why you're showing the material as well as what kind of work you're looking for. If you're showing the clips to display a before and after for color correction for example, then I wouldn't include the audio because it detracts from why you're showing the material in the first place - for the visual. If you're applying for a motion graphics and/or 3D type work then hearing the guy speak is going to be less important. Of course if we're watching the shot and all the guy is doing is looking at us speaking then yes I'd include the audio, or make it more obvious why you're showing the shot in the first place. Taking the audio down and letting us hear him/her might be a nice way to break up the music-only monotany demo reels often have - it's going to be up to you finally to decide if it breaks pace, is needed, etc. I have shots where my talent is saying something and there's no audio of him speaking, but he's also pulling over graphics and moving very actively - in my view it would be distracting visually to hear him speaking as what he's saying is really irrelevant to what my target audience should be noticing.

As with any demo reel, it's all about focus - show your audience what you want them to see, let them hear what you want them to hear. A demo reel is quick, concise, gets to the point. Showing all of your work (including audio cuts) is for the "extra" section of your DVD in case they want to watch more. :-)

- MythProd
(John David Hutton)

Build Your Own VelocityQ. See how:
http://www.customflix.com/Store/ShowTtl.jsp?id=205835

VelocityX, Version 1.0.01
Kansas City, Kansas - United States

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]