FORUMS: list search recent posts

Demo Reel music

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kenton.VanNatten
Demo Reel music
on Apr 28, 2006 at 4:43:53 am

I'm in the process of re-working my demo reel and have selected a commercial track (albeit somewhat unknown) as the bed music. What are the legalities of using such music for one's own "promotional purposes".

For instance, another web forum I frequent won't allow you to post anything that *may* contain copyrighted material and so any demo with such copywritten music would be pulled.

How does one go about finding out publisher info to secure rights for a selection? Is it worth it? Am I being paranoid?

I've noticed a number of demos posted here are using commercial music and one poster mentioned something about it not really being an issue with regard to legalities.

Any info/advice/suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks

Kenton VanNatten
Avid Editor (for hire)

Return to posts index

Leo Baker
Re: Demo Reel music
on Apr 28, 2006 at 1:10:09 pm

Hello,

I never use commercial music even though sounds prefect depends on the track due to legal ristrictions. Instead I use librray/production music then can just pay for the music usage which is cheap for a web demoreel etc. There are loads of companies with hundreds of albums to choose from. You based in UK or USA? As in Uk the produciton music companies list is available from mcps. I tend to use http://www.extrememusic.com as high quality music in any genree including Hollywood series composed by fiolm composers who do all the big movies plus other catalogues with different genres but thjey more or less have all the music I would ever need.

Hope that helps?

Return to posts index

Kenton.VanNatten
on Apr 28, 2006 at 2:23:46 pm

Thanks for the reply,

I'm in the US and I've considered using production music but either most of what I have or what I've heard lacks the "punch" I'm looking for in this piece. I'll look into the suggestions you made, though.

I'll be glad to pay the publisher for the web rights to this song if anyone can give me links to finding out publisher information. I know the Artist and Album info (it's a soundtrack), but I can't find the publisher info??? Usually, aren't they plastered all over the place?

Kenton VanNatten
Avid Editor (for hire)

Return to posts index

VINCE BECK
on Apr 29, 2006 at 10:48:24 pm

Try freeplaymusic.com, you might find something you like.

Cheers,

Vince

Return to posts index

SoundVault Recording
on May 1, 2006 at 3:27:23 am

Kenton, the type of license you need is called a "synchronization license". The Harry Fox Agency use to handle this type thing and it was very easy to get - not cheap but easy. HFA stopped handling this a few years back. Here is a link that may get you started.

http://www.harryfox.com/public/licenseSynchronization.jsp

By the way - I recognized you from that OTHER forum.

Return to posts index

Kenton.VanNatten
on May 3, 2006 at 5:06:12 pm

[quote]" By the way - I recognized you from that OTHER forum."[/quote]

Oh no.... :)

Thanks.. I'll check the link.

Kenton VanNatten
Avid Editor (for hire)

Return to posts index

ben
by
on May 4, 2006 at 4:41:20 pm

use the comemrcial stuff till someone tells you not too! thats my take.

do whatever you can to get ahead, cause if not, someone else will and you'll lose out!

Return to posts index

Kenton.VanNatten
on May 4, 2006 at 8:38:31 pm

lol... that was kind of my take on it too, but I was afraid that along with the "Please don't use our music unlawfully" statement, I'd also receive a big fat lawsuit.

In the grand scheme I realize that I'm being overly paranoid, because there are waaaaayyyyy more places producing pieces (for profit) using unlawfully used music. (ie wedding videos)

I'm sure that my little demo reel is not going to make a dip in the sales of records, but you never know how/when you will be targeted.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Kenton VanNatten
Avid Editor (for hire)

Return to posts index

ben
by
on May 4, 2006 at 8:55:48 pm

dude....if your demo reel makes the music industry shift........then you have one hell of a demo.

think of it like being a hacker.

so your virus infects the stockmarket......you get arrested.....then you get a job, working for the stockmarket that got you arrested, cause you were able to beat them.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]