FORUMS: list search recent posts

reel feedback please

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jeremy
reel feedback please
on Mar 28, 2006 at 4:46:29 pm

hello. i have some some great advice been given out about demo reels on this forum. please have a look at mine and share some wisdom

it's at http://www.jeremywebbmedia.com -> click demo reel

Return to posts index

person
Re: reel feedback please
on Mar 29, 2006 at 3:00:25 pm

are you a one man band? pretty good stuff if so.

Return to posts index

peterock
on Mar 30, 2006 at 10:52:04 am

i think there is some really good stuff in your real, for example the intro, the roots that form to the tree,(3d stroke?) and other stuff. you really know how to do these things,and the 3d kamera is a good friend of yours...
there are some parts that have a little bit the look of student projects
which for me does not fit together very good with your professional stuff.
in general i like it a lot

peter

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Mar 31, 2006 at 3:10:51 pm

I enjoyed the reel, good work. In particular I really liked the ending footage, editing graphics of the 1000 decibels material.

2 things, I'm on a T1 and it seemed to take quite a bit to fully load. Bit rate too high, maybe. The compression looks really really good, perhaps too good? LOL. The other thing was the ganster/gun stuff. Agree with above that it looked student compared to everything else on the reel. Either you don't need it, or it needs to be recut.

Good job overall though.
Johnny
CK&Co

Return to posts index

Trevor Ward
on Apr 1, 2006 at 1:54:12 pm

It felt very long, although I know it wasn't. I didn't like that you kept changing the music. The first 3-4 song didn't work with me. It didn't feel like they had good pacing. About 2/3 of the way through it seemed to work better. That last part of the video had too much of Frank. Take the audio out where the guy says "think quickly." You can tell he's a bad actor. but if you only see the visual, it looks like he might be a good actor. My 2 cents.

-trevor ward

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Apr 2, 2006 at 6:28:23 pm

the demo itself took too long to load, so I watched the other ones - the wedding thing is cool, a little long maybe, but i'm sure the bride loved it - must have taken a dog's age - I hope you got paid a lot.
I would take that college movie off of there - while it was shot well, it suffers from college-movie syndrome - bad acting, inconsistent sound.
Stick to graphics, they are clearly your strength.

Return to posts index

cow
carlsunder
on Apr 3, 2006 at 4:31:12 am

I loved the Wedding video.... Thought it was interesting to hear copyrighted music with that...

How did you do that effect? I thought it was great, and I'd love to hear how you accomplished it...

Return to posts index

jeremy
on Apr 3, 2006 at 7:14:41 pm

thanks all for the responses some really valuble feedback there.

yeah, i'm a one man band. well, that stuff all is.

peterock, i agree with you. i guess it's always hard to cut your own reel. there's the emotional attachment i realise that i need to trim the fat though. thanks

john, i hear you and thanks. i will recompress it to smaller. and yeah, although i am attached to the student stuff, i realize it must be cut.

trevor, much appreciated critique. the first music section is stuff that i created in soundtrack and i really need to get better at that.good call on taking out the audio to make the actor look better, i will try that. i think i'm going to cut down the "frank" part and the "gangster" part severly. thanks for the comments

mike, yeah the wedding video was a present for a friend of mine, and yes it took a long time, thanks for appreciating that. yeah, i think the consensus is to get rid of the student stuff. i agree that bad acting is definately the dead give away of student films. thanks for the feedback.

carl, thanks for the compliment. search the ae forum for "2.5D" or "the kid stays in the picture" lots of talk about that effect. email me if you have any troubles.

thanks again for the comments, i will take it all to heart as i re-edit the reel.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]