FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editor Reel Feedback

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John M Cusack
Editor Reel Feedback
on Mar 28, 2006 at 12:20:10 am

Hi,

I would appreciate it if you have any comments about my reel.

http://www.lowerthirdpictures.com/jc_demoreel.mov

Thanks,

John

Return to posts index

andrei
Re: Editor Reel Feedback
on Mar 28, 2006 at 1:16:01 am

very good...nice job...
andrei

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 30, 2006 at 4:18:01 am

I'm sorry but image set to music tell me nothing. I need to see actual examples of your work. Full commercials, scenes, snippets of work. I didn't finish watching this...got about halfway thru when I realized I wasn't going to see an example of your work. And by example I mean the audio and picture from the scene.

Full music over a demo is to be left to the graphics people and possibly DPs. Directors, editors, actors all need scenes and samples of their work.

If you need a music montage, keep it quick and maybe open or close with it. 30 sec, tops.

Looks like you have interesting work, but I want to see it in context.

Return to posts index

John M Cusack
on Mar 30, 2006 at 5:33:40 am

That is particularly helpful. Actually show my work. Brilliant.

Thanks Shane.

John

Return to posts index

Trevor Ward
on Apr 1, 2006 at 2:03:37 pm

took a long time to load. If I was shopping for a video guy, I'd have left the site by now unless you came highly recommended or I've seen other work of yours. Sorry, but the song sucked. Way to slow. Makes me depressed. Plus the very obvious use of the F word will turn off some people. Also, if the whole thing is letterboxed, go ahead and crop the video to save download time. Aside from that, your editing is nice. Looks like you can do features as well as some TV stuff. my 2 cents.

-trevor ward

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Apr 2, 2006 at 6:37:05 pm

from the first 30 seconds I thought this was a demo for cinematography, not editing. Then I saw that poorly lit scene with the man and woman in the dark room, and the bad day for night scene, and I knew you were working with what you had. I agree with the others, if you edit features, then show some brief scenes showing you know how to cut dialogue and action.
Good luck.

Mike

Return to posts index

splice  me in
on May 30, 2006 at 5:28:45 pm

I saw your 'reel' and i thought that is was a very good intro to a movie, but if you are going to use it to find work, i think you are going the wrong direction.

I am sure that you have some fantastic pieces under your belt and I am not trying to be bold, I am just being honest to a fellow editor. The goal of a demo reel is to make the viewer go "wow, that was cool" and if you can get them to say "how'd they do that?" then you are golden.

It takes time to create a demo reel and the harder it looks to create and the better of you are as an editor. If it looks hard to create, you have just solidified your chance of getting hired. Sound is important if you wish to be hired as sound designer or sfx person, but either way, if you can make your reel look good enough for someone to see it twice...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]