on Mar 14, 2006 at 9:40:09 pm

I would appreciate any feedback on my reel at http://www.mollypaul.com

Thank you very much.

Return to posts index

cow
biggie
Re: Demo Reel Critique
on Mar 16, 2006 at 5:32:35 pm

it looked good from what i saw, but I'll be honest, I turned off before it was even half over. Mainly because the compression of the video isn't really up to par. You should look into using the h264 codec with Quicktime 7, it has incredible quality and your file sizes stay small enough that it will play instantly.

I did my reel using h.264: 1.5 minutes long, 320x240 and the file size is less than 10MB.

Good work, it's just hard to tell with such a small/pixelated screen to view it on. Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Drizzt_G
on Mar 16, 2006 at 7:47:48 pm

I'm with biggie on that one, but I turned it off 20 sec after it started.

Return to posts index

Mike_S
on Mar 17, 2006 at 9:38:35 am

Hi Molly

You can obviously edit, and dsiplay an indie / music sensibility along with some excellent work. I guess it partly depends on who you want to impress. People looking for someone with a good music "feel" and record may see what they want to see.

I guess what the guys are pointing up is the short attention span we can all have when looking at web-based media - short is all we get. Not that you can make watchable longer-form like that - but for showreel in this medium, there's a tradeoff.

On the quality side, I prefer your Flash video route, though I think there's better quality Flash video encoding available from Flash 8. QT 7 in the Windows world, where I am, comes with the penalty that you have to accept i-Tunes and potential disruption to pro editing and graphics software, and QT6 doesn't support h.264, so I'm far from alone in resisting it, at least for now.

All best.

Return to posts index

Mike_S
on Mar 17, 2006 at 10:11:28 am

Just for info ..
http://www.on2.com/video_samples/flix-video-samples/

Return to posts index

Mlpaul7
on Mar 19, 2006 at 12:33:20 am

Thank you all very much for your help. I will certainly take your advice and upgrade the resolution of the video. Thanks again! I really appreciate it.

Return to posts index

Trevor Ward
on Apr 1, 2006 at 2:42:53 pm

thought it was kind of boring. it was long. are you a camera guy, editor, both? where's the contact info? a demo reel should be a teaser or a commercial for your work. you should make people excited to see the rest of your work.

-trevor ward
orlando, fl

Return to posts index

btveditor
on Apr 21, 2006 at 2:33:58 pm

I disagree with Trevor here, a demo needs to show some of your work, that is why it is a demo. A 1 minute montage with music shows me nothing unless it is followed up with some of your work. Not everyone is trying to get a job with MTV, some editors like to tell stories, show emotion and draw the viewer in.

You seem to have good pacing and can put together some nice scenes. I liked the the last one on the reel, but your over all choices weren't very exciting. I don't mind you showing one of the scenes, but I would either put a couple different scenes in or combine it with your interview stuff to break it up.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]