FORUMS: list search recent posts

Videographer First Time Reel

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
TheCreativeMan
Videographer First Time Reel
on Jan 26, 2006 at 6:00:23 pm

Hello Everyone!

Here is my first demo reel after being in the business for 8 months. Any comments or ways to improve this reel would be appreciated!

http://www.easy-sharing.com/207625/Matt%20Reel_Coded.wmv.html

Thanks

Return to posts index

AFMeck
Re: Videographer First Time Reel
on Jan 29, 2006 at 12:13:43 am

I'm new to the biz too so my advice can only go so far...
First off I'd suggest a streaming file so we don't have to download anything. I've had pretty good luck with Putfile.com and it's free.
Next the music: Isn't that from the Matrix? Try to find something fresh and maybe less dramatic 1. so people don't associate it with something besides your work so much and 2. so it compliments the feel of the images.
Lastly, I'd suggest playing with some kind of structure like just seperating the comercial work from the outdoorsy stuff so it doesn't seem so random.
I just finished my first reel so I know it's not easy but you have to start somewhere. If you haven't already done it you should check out as many posted reels here as you can and read all the responses. I learned alot that way.
Here's the link to a QT file of my reel if you're interestd:

http://media.putfile.com/demo-reel58

Feel free to tear it apart.

Return to posts index

TheCreativeMan
on Jan 30, 2006 at 6:33:16 pm

Hey Pal,

Thanks for the post and I agree 100% with everything you said. Structure is key and my music is not original. Your reel is amazing though! I saw it a while back and that it was great. How long have you been doing this for?

Return to posts index

AFMeck
on Jan 30, 2006 at 8:43:43 pm

Hey-
Glad I could help. I know how hard its is to find a direction in your work when you've seen it way too many times. I still don't really know about my reel but I'ts good to hear you liked it.
Unfotunately I've been shooting video for alot longer than I care to admit without getting paid despite having a film degree. I'm finally ready to take my efforts up a notch but it's only been a hobby for me so far.
Best of luck.

-Adam

Return to posts index

SydneyS
on Feb 7, 2006 at 1:04:07 am

To be honest, I wouldn't be too concerned with the music being recognizeable... Most professional demo reel services will ask you to bring in your favorite song... All you should care about is whether or not your images will stand out above all the other demo reels that a typical production manager will have to sort through... It just needs to be fast paced, FLOW, FLOW, FLOW... You want to excite the viewer, draw them in with your first shot, and keep them there for as long as possible... Typically, no one will watch more than the first 30 seconds or so, if you can get them to even sit for that long... When you're shooting, take as much time as you need to frame really cutting edge shots... Buy books on photography, and find ways to make use of extreme angles, horizons, and color contrasts... These typically stand out... When you shoot, layer your compositions... Frame something in the forground, (A treebranch, maybe) with various other layers behind it... You're on the right track... It's a competitive field, the ones who make it are the folks who stick it out and learn, learn, learn... Practice, practice practice...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]