FORUMS: list search recent posts

editor reel question.

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tristan tumble
editor reel question.
on Jan 16, 2006 at 4:24:33 pm

hi there, im an editor/motion graphics artist.

Up untill now, i've had one reel, a montage of editing, graphics work i've done.
but a company im dealing with wants to see a seperate reel for each.
The problem is for the editor reel, the stuff i cut at my job are reality type shows, and how do i cut that into something interesting for a reel>? should it just be short segments back to back? i dont know how i could do a montage type reel while still showing how i cut the content.

how should an editors reel look like?

thanks.

Return to posts index

person
Re: editor reel question.
on Jan 17, 2006 at 6:23:54 am

this is why i always say avoid putting montages on a reel unless you are a graphics person period. the reason they want to see both reels seperate is to see your editing skills. a montage only show quick clips of things you have worked on, but does nothing to show what you did on the subjects you are showing. if reality shows is what you've done, then show short powerful good, the best, segments that proves your abilities as an editor. i have no idea who is looking at your reel so it difficult to tell you exactly what to show them, but just keep is simple and short. my guess is they do stuff other than reality based work. just show them the best of what you have. if you're not a good fit, then you're not. find a way to get other types of editorial on your reel. i know, easier said than done. but it's how it works. good luck.

Return to posts index

mYthprod
on Jan 19, 2006 at 4:54:11 am

An editor's reel should be a scene in which we don't notice the editing. Editing is a seamless advance of perspectives designed to flow well and tell a story, similar to paragraphs in a book.

Beyond the above I can't really be of much more help. Typically when we see editor's demo reel stuff there's motion graphics stuff in there too because an editor these days is usually asked to do more than just edit. If they want a separated demo reel then they'll be looking for the ways you move the story along, timing / pacing, what decisions you made and why. It might be easier on yourself if you could watch some of the work already made by this company so you can get an idea of what they're expecting to see. Surprising your potential employer is not always a good thing, especially when they get particular and ask you to produce something you haven't given yet.

Just my .02. There is no wrong answer here.

- mYthprod
(John David Hutton)

* Build Your Own VelocityQ. See how * :
http://www.customflix.com/Store/ShowTtl.jsp?id=205835

Return to posts index

Mike_S
on Jan 27, 2006 at 2:29:02 pm

If you don't feel you know how to edit your reel, do you feel editing is really your thing ...?

Return to posts index

tristan tumble
on Jan 30, 2006 at 8:12:37 pm

i've been editing and doing motion graphics for about 5 years now..so i do think its my thing..thanks.

my question, was what format to put it in, so far, i've gotten all my jobs from my montage reel, but this one place wants something different..

thanks for that comment..made me smile.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]