FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need Input on new reel

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
PostSputnik
Need Input on new reel
on Jan 11, 2006 at 2:47:48 am

Hey everyone,

I just updated my reel for 2006. I would really love any input on this reel. My problem is I want a flashy reel that draws the viewers attention, but I don't feel I can show any of my editing because sequences with VO or dialogue just to seem to fit into a show reel. Catch my drift? I would consider myself of more of a story editor who occasionally does commercials, but commercials seem to catch the eye on a reel better then story telling. Anyway....

http://www.postsputnik.com/edit_movie.html

you'll need QT7. It's about 2 min and 4.5Mb

Thanks,
Matt

Return to posts index

Allegro
Re: Need Input on new reel
on Jan 11, 2006 at 5:10:59 am

personally... I'd say cut everything between your name and the gap commercials. The video footage doesn't seem professional. The first thing I can't even make out it's so dark. Once the Gap commercials start though, it's looking much more professional

Return to posts index

hockmasm
on Jan 11, 2006 at 6:23:26 pm

I think your reel seems like it was put together just to have a reel.

You have some alright stuff. And i think you should accentuate those clips. There is no standard of reel lenght. A tight, 1 minute reel is more effective than a 2:30 reel that is just stuff thrown together.

Some advice:
Shorten your reel. Dont' show everything. Show just your greatest stuff. Also, rearrange things on your reel. The best stuff should go first. I believe the first 15 seconds has to catch your viewer and make them be like, DAMN this is good. How about making a slate that says, MOTION GRAPHICS, then show the Motion stuff. You could order it like this maybe: FORENSIC FILES, the basketball shooting thing, scrubs, gap, verizon, Channel 13 Sports. THen make a slate for EDITING. then order it like this: fisher judge, magazine style, national cable.

Alao make sure the timing is tweaked. The part right before FORENSIC FILES is real weak. The still images are supposed to flash on the beat of the music, but they do not and it makes it look very amateurish.

Return to posts index

PostSputnik
on Jan 11, 2006 at 8:40:56 pm

Thanks for the input. I updated the reel as to some of the ideas posted. More suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Matt

qt7 needed, aprox 3Mb

Return to posts index

hockmasm
on Jan 12, 2006 at 4:20:02 pm

i like the changes. However, i would move the forensic files thing to the motion graphics part of your reel. it looks out of place at the beginning, and then just editing after that.

also, maybe you should put the motion graphics in the beginning. then make a slate that says EDITING and show the editing stuff like magazine style, docu, etc.

i say motion first cause it grabs the eye more and makes you want to watch the reel. whenever i see no effects for the first 15-30 seconds, i stop watching.

just some suggestions.

Return to posts index

PostSputnik
on Jan 12, 2006 at 10:09:53 pm

Again, thanks for the input. I slated motion graphics and editing and swaped the two, putting mograph stuff first. My instinct is to put the editing first, since I would consider myself more of an editor then a motion graphics artist, but I have to admit it does punch up the reel more. If there are any other suggestions throw them out there. I placed a link to the current reel, and I also placed a link to how my reel started off before making the changes. Thought some of you would like to compare the before and after. Thanks again.
Matt

Need QT7 for both
New Reel
aprox 1min, 3Mb

reel before CreativeCow input
http://www.postsputnik.com/movies/reel2006_v1.mov
aprox 2min, 4.5Mb

Return to posts index

PostSputnik
on Jan 12, 2006 at 10:16:41 pm

I forgot to mention. I didn't do the "Forensic File" graphics, I was using it to illustrate what cable show sample followed. I think that may be more clear with the "editing" slate.

Thanks,
Matt

Return to posts index

Allegro
on Jan 12, 2006 at 11:08:07 pm

This looks *much* better

Return to posts index

Drizzt_G
on Jan 13, 2006 at 11:38:01 am

Pretty Good!

Return to posts index

Johnny
on Jan 18, 2006 at 4:52:39 pm

Hey Matt,

I also edit/mograph. Back in VHS days, I would generally do a 1 minute open, a compilation of my best work cut to music. After that I would generally place 5 to 6 minutes of different samples.

Since most have people have moved to DVD, I still do a open like that, but now move into a menu showing the different pieces. Tend to find that for editing, most people hiring want to see something that actually shows full editing skills. I know when demo's come into our office, to be considered for an editor position, were not going to be overly impressed by 1 minute of quick cuts to a piece of music.

Best of luck
Johnny Cuevas
CK and Co Media

Return to posts index

Derek Natzke
on Feb 24, 2006 at 10:16:19 pm

Great Draft!!! Demo reels are alwys being drafted. There is no final demo reel. Whatever, I think that if you are going to showcase your editing side, you need to put in stylistic edits, not the shows you edited. I think I saw a clip you use go out of focus and it didn't seem to be on purpose. I thought the motion graphics were strong but I think that if you spent some time creating little bumpers just for your reel, it would help accent their style and give it more of a defined look. I hope this helps!

...and then she muttered, "I had to marry an editor."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]