FORUMS: list search recent posts

Should one Define a style on their reel or demostrate a variety of styles?

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
hockmasm
Should one Define a style on their reel or demostrate a variety of styles?
on Jan 9, 2006 at 10:42:33 pm

Do you think it is better to make a demo reel with videos that define your style as a motion graphics editor.....or do you think it is better to put a variety of videos you created on your reel that shows that your creativity is not limited to one style??

i am thinking the latter is a better idea if you are looking for a full-time job, because post houses often get a variety of clients.

what do you think?

Return to posts index

mYthprod
Re: Should one Define a style on their reel or demostrate a variety of styles?
on Jan 10, 2006 at 12:37:10 am

It's a bit double-edged. One style will make you more memorable, multiple styles might make you less memorable but more versatile. I guess it depends on what you mean by style. If you mean a regurgitation of the same thing then obviously don't do that. Most demo reels will have a variety of things they show but they'll usually stick to the same type of media, video, 3D, compositing, etc. If we get a demo reel with just everything the first thing that comes to mind is "Master of None". Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, if that's what they're looking for then that's what they'll want.

What's important is to identify the person you actually are and try to let your demo reel reflect that in a clear and consistent manner. If you're mostly a video guy, don't make half the demo reel 3D stuff, etc. Smaller markets will be looking for someone with broader knowledge, larger markets will want someone who's more specialized. Keep these things in mind when you make your demo reel (and who to send it to). It's not at all uncommon to make several types of demo reels, geared toward a certain market, then send those types of reels to those types of places. It's less of a shotgun effect and a bit more effective. Also, if you could make up a graphic or some piece of footage specifically for the place you're sending it to (like do something with their logo or their type of product), they'll be impressed, whether they like you or not. :-) They know it's a lot more work to do that and that will tell them you're serious about getting a job / gig.

Hope that helps.

- mYthprod
(John David Hutton)

* Build Your Own VelocityQ. See how * :
http://www.customflix.com/Store/ShowTtl.jsp?id=205835

Return to posts index

hockmasm
on Jan 10, 2006 at 3:10:54 pm

That last comment is some pretty good advice. I never thought about creating a piece for the company that I would like to work for. I think that would really help sell yourself as a real professional that is dedicated to your craft!

Return to posts index

seattlefilmmaker
on Jan 10, 2006 at 9:00:07 pm

I think that your "public" reel could be different than your "specifically for a company" reel, if that makes any sense. You can promote yourself to a place you'd like to work differently than if you're trying to get your own clients.

-E

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."

-John Donne

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]