FORUMS: list search recent posts

Demo reel -- first draft -- any comments?

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff
Demo reel -- first draft -- any comments?
by
on Jan 9, 2006 at 3:16:22 am

Here's a reel I put together showing mostly commercial work. It's 12 minutes and has a couple of TV projects in it as well. 78 megs streamed at 768K. (Maybe I should put up a smaller file?)

This isn't like most of the reels I've seen when looking through this board, which tend to be heavy effects and animation reels -- most all very impressive, and usually shorter.

Any comments?

Many thanks.

http://www.mostlymagicproductions.com/demo/demo1.mov

Return to posts index

Allegro
Re: Demo reel -- first draft -- any comments?
on Jan 11, 2006 at 5:03:37 am

a smaller file would *definately* help

I'm not sure why you would need a 12 minute reel... there aren't too many people patient enough to sit through to the end of that.

I still haven't seen it simply because I got impatient waiting for it to download

Return to posts index

Jeff
by
on Jan 11, 2006 at 5:47:22 pm

Thanks, Allegro.

First, here's a link to a smaller file:

384K stream

Second, yeah, if think 12 minutes is overkill, I guess that's a valid comment.

This should stream, by the way (quicktime), rather than waiting to download the whole thing. Is it not streaming for anyone?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Allegro
on Jan 12, 2006 at 11:15:30 pm

it wasn't streaming before because you were supplying a link to the file, not your website. it streams now.

I still think you need to edit the time down. a demo reel isn't supposed to show the whole story, it's supposed to show what work you can do. I got impatient and I finally clicked ahead to see the skiers, and after a couple seconds stopped watching.

I'm sorry if you don't think I'm being patient enough, but I'm trying to help you out. The people who view reels to hire someone are busy. You need to show them what you're made of in 2-5 minutes, and you need to make a good impression in the first 15 seconds.

Or at least this is what everyone has told me.

Return to posts index

Jeff
okay, take 2 -- here's a shorter version -- any comments?
by
on Jan 13, 2006 at 8:21:31 am

This is 4 minutes long (instead of 12), and only commercial work.

Quicktime:

http://www.mostlymagicproductions.com/demo/commercial_mov.htm

or windows media

http://www.mostlymagicproductions.com/demo/commercial_win.htm

Return to posts index

Allegro
Re: okay, take 2 -- here's a shorter version -- any comments?
on Jan 14, 2006 at 12:12:05 am

It's definately better

It's hard for me to give any more feedback, simply because this isn't the type of demo reel I'm used to seeing (I'm in animation).

You might consider adding your name and an email address or something at the end as well(email at the beginning as well) to help make it easier for someone to contact you after viewing your reel.

Hopefully you agree that editing down your reel was a necessary evil

Return to posts index

Jeff
by
on Jan 14, 2006 at 12:27:07 am

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, shortening was definitely in order. Good call.

I don't have any real animation experience personally. Mainly I direct people and performances, and the camera. The idea of an email address at the end is a good one, except that for my purposes, the only people seeing this will be people who already know who I am and have asked for it.

Basically, what this is for is that I've been hired to do another infomercial and then one of the people involved wants me to do one for a company he's related to, and asked for a reel to send them. So it's intended to show some variety in what I've produced and directed.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

JNeo25
on Feb 11, 2006 at 11:45:29 pm

Ya know, at first I thought it was long, but by the end I realized that these were commercials that I had seen so much as a kid I was almost nostalgic. The coke spot really brought back memories.

Jeff, you've been doing this a while, yeah?

Return to posts index

Jeff
by
on Feb 12, 2006 at 1:29:13 am

Yeah, started out in commercials 25 years ago...then moved to longform and episodic TV...then retired from the biz...then had friends asking me for help and to do stuff for them or their company...started getting busier than I intended -- but having fun with it -- so put together some stuff that includes Clio winners from back then and some more recent stuff. Will have a couple infomercials to add to the reel shortly.

Hey, don't make me feel old!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]