FORUMS: list search recent posts

Demoreel 2005 - Comments please

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Goran
Demoreel 2005 - Comments please
on Dec 29, 2005 at 6:00:56 pm

Here are samples of my work during 2005.
I would like to hear your opinions.

http://www.sirruf.com/demoreel2005.mov

Duration: 1:39
Size: 12 MB

Thanks,
Goran

Return to posts index

Stone Reader
Re: Demoreel 2005 - Comments please
on Dec 30, 2005 at 11:15:29 pm

Damn good stuff. Love the 3D text movements.

Return to posts index

HatkowProductions
on Dec 31, 2005 at 5:34:20 pm

Really good! Fast paced and interesting to look at the entire time. Very nice work!

Rebel Without A Crew

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Jan 1, 2006 at 12:08:27 am

What language is that in there? Icelandic? Finnish?

Nice work. How 'bout filling out your profile?

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

GoranH
on Jan 1, 2006 at 5:14:57 pm

Language is Croatian. It's a small country in Europe (near Italy).

I work 10 months in On-air promotion in one (of three) Croatian national TV houses.
All material in Demo Reel was made for this Television.

Thanks very much for your comments. I would also like to hear what you think could be improved in my Demo Reel.

Return to posts index

liv2snoride
on Jan 3, 2006 at 9:45:26 pm

Nice AFX work! Love the moves in all the pieces. The entire demo had an even pace start to finish. Some of the segments were less exciting than others. The only thing I might say is to keep only the best of the best.
Very nice work!
JP

Return to posts index

seattlefilmmaker
on Jan 5, 2006 at 9:09:24 am

Nice reel! I'm super-picky about what I like, but you do some nice stuff in there! The "ski report" graphic is very nice. In some places, you have a very constructivist thing going on, very Polish 50'-60's movie poster.

Good job.

-E

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."

-John Donne

Return to posts index

GoranH
on Jan 6, 2006 at 11:55:43 pm

I haven't heard about constructivism before (I didn't go to art school, I learn as I go), so your commentary really intrigued me. Since I have a lot of creative freedom when I'm working on my projects I'm trying to make simple but effective designs and I'm interested in learning more about my style, so thanks for giving me clues where to search for more information.

Goran

Return to posts index

George Loch
on Jan 5, 2006 at 8:27:54 pm

Nice work. Couple of comments...

-music = tired. Not only is there copyright issues with it (various opinions on that subject) it is one of the most overused beds I have seen in the demo world. I would do something different ot help your reel stand out a bit more.

-length = shorten a bit. Some of the work felt like I had seen it already. If you removed some of the similar work then it would be a lot tighter.

Good job

-gl

Return to posts index

seattlefilmmaker
on Jan 5, 2006 at 9:00:23 pm

While I agree that the music might be tired, I doubt there's any copyright problems. It's a demo, and not for any commercial purposes whatsoever.

No worries.

-E

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."

-John Donne

Return to posts index

George Loch
on Jan 5, 2006 at 11:19:07 pm

[seattlefilmmaker] "I doubt there's any copyright problems"

Again, that is a much debated issue that one ultimately has to make a personal choice over.

-gl

Return to posts index

seattlefilmmaker
on Jan 5, 2006 at 11:57:36 pm

I don't understand how it's "debated". There's no debate...a copywritten song may be used for any purpose other than commercial, unless the piece specifically has certain rights attached to it, which I seriously doubt this one does; it's VERY rare. There has never, to my knowledge (I have a background in music), been a case where someone used a song for private, not-for-profit purposes and got sued over it, unless the material made its' way onto something that made someone profit.

The only problem that I can see is that this song could be ripped from the video online, and then some label would have a "problem" with that. However, I doubt there's a label out there that would bother, IF they even found out about it.

I think it's just paranoid to be concerned about it. If you couldn't use commercial material for a non-commercial project, then there'd be a problem with people using iLife and such, wouldn't there? If he can't use this song for his video demo, then no one can use any song they didn't write for ANY video, ever, anywhere. That's oversimplyfying it, but it's true.

-E

-John Donne

Return to posts index

Stone Reader
on Jan 6, 2006 at 4:45:03 pm

A demo reel used to promote yourself could easily be viewed as commercial. What's the diff between a demo reel and an ad spot. Both are used to generate revenue, ergo they are both commercial.

Return to posts index

seattlefilmmaker
on Jan 6, 2006 at 7:24:07 pm

Dude...that's not how it works in this biz.

For one thing, it's very unlikely that his reel will be seen by whatever copyright holders own the rights to the song.

Second, this is NOT A COMMERCIAL. He's not showing a product for sale, and his "services" don't count as a product, as long as he doesn't use the song in something he does FOR A CLIENT, without getting licensing for it. In the end, when he works for a client, he's doing work for the client, not involving that song at all; hence no copyright concerns. He's also not using the song for any direct profit, as this video is for spec only; that's covered by law. In fact, the law says that you can use any song you want as long as it's a non-commercial project, and especially not for broadcast.

Sorry to keep harking on this, but I just don't think you get the facts in this case. I think the 90's made everyone paranoid about Copyright, just like studios and labels WANT you to be. So now, everyone's scared that, if they use copywritten music for personal projects, they'll get busted somehow.

This is how he'll get busted, if at all: he sends that reel to someone at Warner Bros., they hear the song, and call him to ask if he somehow procured rights to it. He'll say no, he's just using it for the reel, and they'll say, "well, we own the Northern American rights to it, so don't use it in the U.S. anymore, or we'll sue you." So then Goran stops using the tune on DVDs he sends the States, and everyone's happy.

Or the guy says nothing, since he has no real legal right to the song and doesn't want to waste his or his company's time suing Goran; besides, Goran's not going to make enough off the use of this song for them to be too concerned. To them, he's some guy living in some foreign country who will never interfere with thier business. It's just not worth it to them. Companies generally only sue when the defendant is making money off of the use of thier "thing".

A company first needs to send you a Cease and Desist letter; if you dont' stop after that, THEN they sue you. It's no big deal. Goran's not making money DIRECTLY from the song itself, and I doubt you'd find many judges that just wouldn't throw the case out.

I mean, if everyone on this forum alone was made not to use commercial music, there'd be a lot of quiet demo reels, wouldn't there?

Goran, if you're really not sure about all this, I have a tune I wrote a few years ago that has VERY much the same feeling, movement and instrumentation as the one you're using. It's my "Matrix Music" period, lol. I wrote it in Reason, and it's very flexible a far as length and timing goes. I think you'd really like it, and you'd be able to use it however you want. Let me know.

-Eddie

-John Donne

Return to posts index

Stone Reader
on Jan 6, 2006 at 9:05:02 pm

I'm not saying he will get sued, I'm just saying those are the grounds that could be used.

Basically, you can get sued for using almost any copyrighted material. The "fair use" guidelines are vague and ill-defined. Beyond educational use (and even there, it is limited), I'd be careful with what you use.

Whether or not you will get sued is another issue.

In the end, a lawyer's consultation on these issues is preferred over any heresay on message boards and chat rooms.

Return to posts index

GoranH
on Jan 6, 2006 at 11:50:24 pm

Before I started editing my demoreel I was aware that there are better solutions than using copyrighted music but since I didn't find anything better at the time and I wanted to make this demoreel as soon as possible (to hear comments on my graphics) I decided to use it temporarily, until I find something better. (Funniest thing is I didn't even know that this song was used in Matrix.)
I'll change the music mainly because I want to avoid this kind of discussions in the future. I'd like people to focus more on graphics and not music (or at least not musics copyright issues).

And Eddie, I would like really to hear that "matrix" music you made.

Thanks,
Goran

Return to posts index

seattlefilmmaker
on Jan 7, 2006 at 9:42:41 am

Ya know, I was really coming off as rude earlier; I've been stressed lately, sorry about that.

Goran, email me and I'll find the tune and send it to you in MP3. If you like it, we can work on the length. Maybe you could email me a smaller version of the demo reel, enough for me to see it but not too large, and I can make the song fit for ya. I've been wanting either a racing video game (what I created it for originally) or a demo reel to use it in, so it's no problem. Maybe you could link to my email on your site or something. SOMEone should use the tune, lol.

So, go ahead and email me a smaller (under 5-ish megs, if possible, but whatever works on your end) version of the video, and I'll spend the next week or so on it, if that's an okay time frame. I work better when I don't have TOO tight a deadline, but the song's pretty much done, anyway...I just need to tweak it for length, and I'll also give you a few different mixes so you can choose.

I also have a tune that's very much like the "Zion Dance Party" scene in the second Matrix film, if you wanna hear that. I actually wrote it to be timed to the scene, since I wasn't all that crazy about the music they used, and I was going through a techno/orchestral phase. It's very "tribal-techno"...That stuff's easy to write. ;)

send it to: theeddielloyd@gmail.com

-John Donne

Return to posts index

seattlefilmmaker
on Jan 7, 2006 at 10:54:29 am

Oh, wait, never mind...I downloaded it from your site, and it's fine. It won't be too high-res when I send it back, but it'll only be for placement, anyway.

-Eddie

-John Donne

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]