FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do I make my multimedia portfolio? Please help.

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
maitreyee
How do I make my multimedia portfolio? Please help.
on Dec 6, 2005 at 12:13:56 am

I am a print graphic design student and have recently moved to US. I am now aspiring to study Motion Graphics and Broadcast Design. But, I have never done a portfolio in multimedia (.mov) format ever before. I have my work in the form of typography, logo designs, illustrations, print ads., magazine layouts, book jackets, basic 3d animation done in maya etc.

I can work in photshop, quark, illustrator, maya (basic) and aftereffects (basic)..but my problem is that i have just started working in after effects and i am a novice user want to learn further..and i want to know for making a multimedia portfolio-to be rendered out as .mov on a cd,

1. what should be the comp size and composition settings?
2. then how do blend a still image with say an animated one following it?
3. what should be the compression used to render it out?

I want to know how do I go about compiling all of them as a Quick time movie for my portfolio submission for my admission in the program.
Please help.

When I found your forum, I was so thankful. Your help and advice would be enlightening and a tremendous confidence booster.
Thank you.

Return to posts index

phil
Re: How do I make my multimedia portfolio? Please help.
by
on Dec 16, 2005 at 3:43:14 pm

output size should be: 320x240, use sorenson 3 compression at about 300 kbs bit rate, and keyframe at ever 24.....

as far as the "blending" you speak of, thats just an opacity change in After Effects....click on a layer, press the 'T' key on your keyboard, set a keyframe (click on the stop watch), move down the line a few seconds and set another keyframe. go back to the first keyframe and change the value to 0.

Return to posts index

George Loch
on Dec 16, 2005 at 4:12:14 pm

There are a number of ways to handle this. First of all, I would not mix the print items into a QT movie. The person viewing print work will want to see it as large as possible and a QT movie will be too small. I would either do an HTML presentation on the CD or something like Flash. Then give them a structure similar to a portfolio website with the different areas broken into the medium ie. Print, Web, and Motion.

Only do QT for the motion items and leave the others to more viewable formats.

-gl

Return to posts index

seattlefilmmaker
on Jan 5, 2006 at 7:47:50 pm

Other than static print images, what else do you have to put on your demo? Is this a demo reel for animation, or print graphics? If you're doing a demo for animation, I'd wait to MAKE some animation before you're thinking about multi-media demos.

If you're doing print, it's still considered best to use a book, unless you can write a small movie over on the computer and make a Universally playable movie out of it. Don't forget, though, that stuff for print will look VERY bad at that small a resolution. If you're trying to show off your work, and you feel as though you MUST do it via a short demo reel, then do it high-res, unless it's for streaming.

If you're doing a demo reel of print projects just to stand out, it won't help; the work itself is what people look at, no matter WHAT anyone else tells you. In fact, if you're doing a demo reel and you don't know the tools you're using to make it, then it'll show, and people will believe that you can't even put together a simple demo reel, so why should they hire you?

In this business, you only get one chance to make a first impression.

Good luck!

-Eddie

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."

-John Donne

Return to posts index

seattlefilmmaker
on Jan 6, 2006 at 12:00:33 am

Let me also add that no one makes a demo of the subject they're ABOUT to study, they wait until they're done with the class, and then they can show off thier skills. If you don't have the skills first, then why are you making a demo reel?

Just some things for you to think about.

-E

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."

-John Donne

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]