FORUMS: list search recent posts

Showreel2005 - motion & interactive designs, feedback?

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Minds of Intelligence
Showreel2005 - motion & interactive designs, feedback?
on Nov 29, 2005 at 4:50:30 am

Hello everyone,
It's not too usual to create a showreel to show interactive designs, but I've chosen to make a showreel for 2005 that showcase motion, shortfilm and interactive work together.

The ending isn't done yet, as I'm planning to add a more eye catching finale - but I'm quite pushed on time to finish this before a meeting later this week. But after that I will improve, so any thoughts from you fine ladies and gentlemen would be appreciated.

http://www.mindsofintelligence.com/portfolio/showreel.htm

Roger Margido Proeis
Executive & Creative Director
http://www.mindsofintelligence.com

Return to posts index

phil
Re: Showreel2005 - motion & interactive designs, feedback?
by
on Nov 29, 2005 at 3:37:28 pm

neat intro, but like most will tell you here, its not good to mix motion work, with narrative work.

If you want to show off your narrative/writing/directing/editing skills, put a demo up with full cut (or directors cut) commercials back to back, (usually the best 3 or 4 will do). Then make a :60 demo of your motion work.

but you guys do some super cool things :). and its nice to see someone from Australia post a reel for a change. i think you guys are the first i've seen. if i lived there, i would definitely hit you guys up for a job ;).

Return to posts index

Yussef
on Nov 29, 2005 at 5:21:22 pm

Nice - that was a very stylish reel. The music meshes very well with the subject matter. Well done.

Here's what I would do to make it perfect:

Shorten it down to 1 minute or a little longer. Take all that extra meat out of the web page second. That means about half the time per each webpage to keep up the pacing. I know you want the client to SEE the content but you should just put up links to these pages or image captures somewhere else on your site and not on your reel. It gets laborious and you want the pacing to work as well as it did in the beginning.

I might even put up a small title before the web design section. Just so people will know it's your own webpages you're showcasing and not how you can move the AE camera around someone else's material. (Which I have seen in the past so I'm not crazy)

'Showreel' title is a bit too long - i think i understand its so the video matches with the music but maybe you can try putting some animation before the title or cutting the head of the song so that you have to see the title for less. I thought my quicktime had frozen.

Sweet intro though and nice work everywhere else. Even if you don't follow any of this advice you've got a reel that will get you work.

Yussef

Return to posts index

Minds of Intelligence
on Nov 29, 2005 at 10:27:58 pm

phil: You're right. It's probably good to seperate the type of work into different reels, and I had some concerns putting it all together. As a potential client might not care about interactive work because they're looking for motion services or the other way around - and I wouldn't want to complicate things or confused them. But at the same time, I think that by putting it all together, it'll give a very good impression of graphic styles and what can be done. But I agree, and I probably will make a director's cut too.

Let us know if you're in Australia mate! I don't know where you're from, but we're expanding to Hong Kong next year too ;)

Yussef: You got some great points. I'm starting to think it's getting a bit long too, especially due to the interactive work section. Sometimes it's better to show less, and this reel would probably be far better if it was 45-60sec less. All the websites, with more screenshots etc are available in the Works (portfolio) section of the website anyway.

I'll take your advise on the intro length and a title that makes it clear that we actually did the websites and not just animated a camera. It's funny and it made me laugh when I read it, but you're very true..

Thanks to both of you. I normally give critics to others around the net, so it was great to get some feedback. Much appreciated, and I will make some changes next week.

Roger

Return to posts index

Yussef
on Dec 1, 2005 at 8:16:41 pm

hey check out this link: http://www.psyop.tv/bombay

that part you did in your reel with the bridges suspended in middair by those puffy grassy things? looks JUST like part of this bombay spec! did you get inspiration from it? it's interesting. if not great minds...

yussef

Return to posts index

Minds of Intelligence
on Dec 1, 2005 at 10:40:02 pm

Oh don't worry about that. It was an experiment of psyop style, it says so on the site, and most importantly, I have been discussing doing that with psyop themselves, they've seen it and so forth, so it's all ok my friend.

Return to posts index

seattlefilmmaker
on Jan 10, 2006 at 9:37:09 pm

Seriously...why does EVEYONE have to use the Matrix soundtrack, over and over? Don't people know that there's other "intense" techno out there?

Just a rant. I'm sick to DEATH of hearing that stuff, and I have a feeling others are, too.

-E

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."

-John Donne

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]