comments please
on Nov 29, 2005 at 3:51:15 am

http://artworkswme.tripod.com/dr.doug/id11.html

Artworkswme.com

Return to posts index

Arthur Vibert
Re: comments please
on Nov 30, 2005 at 3:43:25 am

I think you've made a good start. There are some nice ideas. Now you have to start working on your execution.

The reel is MUCH too long. It doesn't have to be as long as the song. I'd keep it under a minute. Pick 4 or 5 of your strongest ideas and really massage them.

For example, I like the shot where the golf ball breaks the sky. But it looks cartoony right now. Find out what real cracks in shattered glass look like. Research it on the web or better yet find a window you can break and shoot it breaking and then analyze it frame by frame until you understand how it works. Massage the shot until it looks absolutely real. Then move on to the next one. I would aim for quality over quantity.

Find vfx shots you admire and try and duplicate them. Become a student of the entire process. Beg borrow and steal all the information you possibly can about the industry. Identify techniques and master them. Question your fellow Cows relentlessly until you thoroughly understand the how things are done. Invent new ways. Aim to surpass anything that has been done before.

I was just looking at a short film made with a dv camera by a (professional) digital matte painter. It's awesome, especially when you consider that the live actiion portion was shot with a standard dv camera. You'll find it by going to: http://www.dusso.com/

Enjoy! And keep us posted.

Arthur VIbert

Return to posts index

Trevor Ward
on Dec 5, 2005 at 8:09:51 pm

Pretty long. I felt that each segment could have been shortened. After a few seconds, you start to get the idea. If it's an idea reel, then maybe the length is ok. But if the idea of the reel is to introduce youself, sell yourself, and showcase how good you are, make it shorter.

Return to posts index

doug shoha
on Dec 8, 2005 at 5:26:24 am

yeah i thought the same thing till schoolcraft college saw it and hired me to teach my own course.

Artworkswme.com

Return to posts index

Trevor Ward
on Dec 8, 2005 at 1:40:40 pm

yeah, it all depends upon who your audience is.

Return to posts index

Justin Productions
on Dec 18, 2005 at 9:16:37 pm

Yeah...cool...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]