FORUMS: list search recent posts

review my first demo reel

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Trevor Ward
review my first demo reel
on Nov 16, 2005 at 1:42:51 am

Now it's my turn. Please review my demo reel and let me know how it can be better. Basically I'm a one-man shop and I do freelance work as well. Rip me apart. please.

http://www.redeyevideoproductions.com/videos/demo rev 2005 v1.mov

Return to posts index

Ryan Koo
Re: review my first demo reel
on Nov 17, 2005 at 3:02:06 am

Thanks for your feedback on my reel; I'll try to return the favor.

I wouldn't put the band/frat-type stuff first--because it's handheld, it looks too low-budget. Nice opening shot though. I'd also move some of the more graphic intensive stuff to the front; maybe the shot of the guy going up the escalator. car shot is very nice.

I'd cut the 'camp transformation' title.

Nice cut from the fireworkds to the sale graphic.

I didn't get the guys hugging--the overhead shot looked nice, but the streetside one, nothing special.

The reenactment footage (dolly?) is nice.

I have a strange suggestion--letterbox some more footage, even if it wasn't originally. This might make it seem like more sources/different projects, or give it more variety.

Those are some observations I had, hope they help somehow. The reel does a very good job of selling your services and explaining what you do--good luck.

Ryan

Return to posts index

Vinnie
on Nov 17, 2005 at 2:49:04 pm

I dont know if it was too long or too slow...either way I got bored. I would cut some stuff and trim some clips. I dont know about the music...part of me loves it part of me thinks it doesnt work...I will leave it like that. I would definitely cut the camp transformation thing you did. I would cut it and never look at it again....sry its bad. Also the wierd grafx that follow it I would cut too. I would keep Grant Hill (did he break his ankle on the shoot?) sry couldnt resist. But you got a nice start. Try to make it a bit more fun to watch...less like a waiting room video and more like a Movie trailor...if that helps.

good start....

vinnie

Return to posts index

Yussef
on Nov 17, 2005 at 5:53:25 pm

Just wanted to chime in, it could have been shorter, I think generally it's a mistake in reels to use the same jobs over and over again. You may be proud of them but the viewer (the client) is reminded of the small breadth of your exerience. Better to have a one minute spot with all fresh stuff then a stale 3 minute one. And also, no frat/band/party/student move shots. It doesn't look like work worth being paid for. But if you sort that out you'll definitely have a good reel for what you want to do. Good luck!

Yussef

Return to posts index

Marc Hermann
on Nov 17, 2005 at 8:22:57 pm

I, too, thought it was too long and I was never quite sure what you wanted to sell. If you're a one man shop trying to sell complete products (like the four types you list at the beginning) maybe you should give the potential client a flavour of these products. Show a string coherent extracts. Let them know you can tell a story, sell a product or instruct through video. I think this montage style doesn't quite work for that purpose.

I hope this helps a little.

Cheers,
Marc

http://www.marc-hermann.de

Return to posts index

Trevor Ward
on Nov 19, 2005 at 7:49:24 pm

I really appreciate everyone's constructive criticism. I will work on it some more and post again for review.

I'd like to say that I value a place like this were people will be honest and tell you if something doesn't work or sucks. I have a lot of friends and they mostly just say, "great job, trevor" and pat me on the back.

Return to posts index

Ryan Koo
on Nov 19, 2005 at 9:51:10 pm

Couldn't agree more--really, really appreciate the feedback and community here.

Return to posts index

Jim Zito
on Nov 21, 2005 at 1:49:36 pm

Well, I appreciate everyone posting their reels. I know it's not easy to do-put it out there for everyone to criticize, but it's nice to see what other people are doing and gain some inspiration from them.

Return to posts index

George Loch
on Dec 16, 2005 at 4:33:37 pm

I know I am late to this but, I havea couple of thoughts that may still help.

-Music: can it. Too dramatic. You want music that gives you a bed to cut to but doesn't draw too much attention to itself.

-Always put your strongest work first. The viewer will most likely not get to the end and you want to make sure they see your best before they stop watching.

-A common theme I keep seeing in reels is focus. Really focus in on what you are trying to accomplish with this reel. You don't want ot present a generic "Jack of all trades..." presentation as it waters down your skills and strengths. There is no reason not to have 2 or 3 reels targeted at specific areas.

-Keep it short and sweet. Don't worry aobut trying ot overwhelm the viewer with the volume of your work. Overwhelm them with quality and getting to the point and getting out. Leave 'em hungry for more.

Keep working on it.

-gl

Return to posts index

seattlefilmmaker
on Jan 10, 2006 at 9:49:30 pm

I can't even get in! It says that the site can't be found.

-E

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."

-John Donne

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]