FORUMS: list search recent posts

New Reel, please give feedback

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Koo
New Reel, please give feedback
on Nov 10, 2005 at 12:38:30 am

The compression needs work, but other than that, in my eyes it's "done." Which means it's time to get feedback, and tear it apart!

I shot, edited, and animated everything on the reel. Please take a look:

http://nofilmschool.com/files/html/reel.htm

Comments greatly appreciated,

Ryan

Return to posts index

Jim Zito
Re: New Reel, please give feedback
on Nov 14, 2005 at 1:56:37 pm

Hey Ryan. A couple of suggestions-

-I'd get rid of the countdown background in the beginning. It's been done so many times and it seems kind of obvious to me.
-Cut it down. It's feels too long.
-Start with your strongest stuff. There's some nice documentary footage buried in the middle of the piece. The interview footage should be at the end. In fact, you may want to eliminate it altogether. This would help shorten your reel.
-It's a cool design, but I think the open goes on a bit too long too.
-I'm not crazy about the first music track. Seems kinda dull to me. Also, I didn't care for how you have one song end and another begin. It feels like the reel is ending, then starts up again. I'd go with one song for the whole thing.

You have some really nice stuff in there. I know it's hard to weed out your own work, but I think you could have a solid reel if you go back and take out some of the weaker footage and make it a little more exciting.

Hope that helps.
Jim

Return to posts index

liv2snoride
on Nov 14, 2005 at 4:10:45 pm

Hey Man- my thoughts
Music- not a great choice- and stick with one song- the transition didnt work
Intro- way long- Get out your name and skills and then get with the demos- At the end you can leave up your contact info for people who liked it to read and use.
Durration- The whole piece is to long. There is to much padding to fill the time. You also repeated the footage to much. Lose the bad interview stuff. The South American stuff is beautiful!!! but again to much of the same.

Their is much debate on this forum and else where about lenth and style of demo reels. My two cents-If it isnt some of the best of your work-cut it. People will only remember the one bad thing. Like I remember the lighting and set of the woman interview. Less is more. Leave the viewer wanting to see more of your stuff. Make them call you to get more!!

Hope my rambling helps

JP

Return to posts index

Vinnie
on Nov 14, 2005 at 7:11:56 pm

I would second all the above critques...Way too long I couldnt sit through it the first time. Too repetitive...It looks like you dont have enuff work and you want it to be longer. Trust me when you sit down to look at demos the last thing you have is a ton of time. Cut out the bad stuff put the strongest first. Also I wouldnt put that you did everything on the front of your reel. If you want to brag about never working on a creative team then save it for a shot list.

great work just practice editing a montage.

vinnie

Return to posts index

Trevor Ward
on Nov 14, 2005 at 11:11:32 pm

Much of the same. Too long. Use one song only (2nd one is better). Intro is too long. Too much of the same footage (or similar looking). Also, a shorter reel will download faster. I'm on DSL and I had to wait too long.

You did have some beautiful shots and I liked the graphic work at front.

-tw

Return to posts index

Ryan Koo
on Nov 15, 2005 at 4:52:14 am

Thanks for the comments! It's funny, I was trying to avoid the "way too fast" reel problem where the viewer doesn't have enough time to process any of the shots because it's cut so fast. And I guess I overcompensated for that and made it too slow.

As we all know part of the problem with cutting a reel is not being able to look at your own work objectively--could any of you give me a better idea of what "the bad stuff" is? I'm afraid I'm past the point of being able to evaluate that anymore. Comments like JP saying that he remembers the woman interview as looking bad--that helps a lot. It's trashed.

Also, I wasn't trying to "brag about not being part of a creative team," I'm trying to target jobs that want someone to do multiple things. Still, I'll change the credits and shorten the opening.

Thanks again for the comments, they are VERY helpful.

Return to posts index

Trevor Ward
on Nov 15, 2005 at 1:10:01 pm

Delete: 2nd shot with 3 people on couch, the rapid, shots of people after that. But leave the older guy shot. It's a nice shot. I love the black and white shots of the black man. Leave in the tribal shots. The man and woman interview looks 90's. Get rid of them. The "locating dwelling units" shot must go. Love the Pocket PC stuff. the rap video shots of the guy on the lazy boy in the park should go. Nothing special about them. The walking crowd shot just before the driving shot of the hillside with houses should go. Nothing special about it. The theater shot with the people sitting, isn't really special either. I like the explosion at the end with the bloom.

Return to posts index

Ryan Koo
on Nov 16, 2005 at 4:06:02 am

Thanks Trevor, that helps a lot.

New Reel will be up tommorrow--it's clocking in at about 1:30, half the length of this one...

Return to posts index

Ryan Koo
NEW revised reel
on Nov 17, 2005 at 6:30:44 am

Thanks everyone for your feedback. The new, half-as-long, improved (i hope) reel is up:

http://nofilmschool.com/files/html/reel.htm

Return to posts index

Vinnie
Re: NEW revised reel
on Nov 17, 2005 at 2:40:39 pm

So how do you like it Ryan?? Doesnt it feel better now??

I like the length and the intro is short and sweet and makes the whole thing better by getting the info across quickly and with a cool design. I still would pull the movie theater stuff or make the people infront more of a silhouette...it doesnt look right cause there is not that much light in a theater...the light source is the screen...think that way. And the rapper sitting in the chair I would use a wide shot and then a tight close up if you have one...it might help it a bit.

Also I applogize if you took me as being rude with the 'creative team' comment in my earlier post...it was not intended.

Good stuff...

Vinnie

Return to posts index

Jim Zito
on Nov 17, 2005 at 6:02:03 pm

Much, much better.

Return to posts index

Trevor Ward
on Nov 19, 2005 at 7:46:01 pm

Perfect length. Although, I don't like the music as either of the songs in the first one. Music makes the video feel much different. Clip-wise, these are good. Intro was good. I like how you go from graphic to the shot of the black man in the white room, back to the continuation of your graphic.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]