FORUMS: list search recent posts

Feedback please on reel

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ben rollason
Feedback please on reel
on Oct 28, 2005 at 6:01:05 pm

Hi,

Here's a link to my motion graphics and visual effects reel. It's a bit of a hotch-potch of stuff, swinging from live action repainting, grading and visual effects, through lo-fi motion graphics, film titles, kids TV... the lot.

http://www.benrollason.com/ben_reel.html (Requires QT 6 or above - there's a Win Media link on the page too)

Any feedback is most welcome, but I have a couple of specific questions too....

1. How does it hang together as a reel?

2. With most of the work on the reel I've had the central creative role, including having directed most of the live action stuff. However, the cartoon monster was not character-animated by me. In fact, I don't even do 3D character-animation, but I did have a lot of input in the concept, design and timings aswell as compositing the whole thing and adding visual effects (i.e. explosion, smoke, snowball, created the animated logo etc.) My question is then, should it stay on the reel?

Ben.

Return to posts index

steve hayes
Re: Feedback please on reel
on Oct 28, 2005 at 6:57:33 pm

Very nice, I am not an industry pro but my honest opinion would be maybe you should truncate it a little. Cut it down to quicker shots or maybe only the very best in your opinion. Just my 2 pence worth mate. I just put my reel up and feel I have a long way to go to achieve this standard hahahaha.

Return to posts index

Ryan Koo
Re: Feedback please on reel
on Oct 28, 2005 at 7:27:46 pm

First thought I had was this:

Holy Shit. I used that David Holmes song on an underwater video I cut together five years ago! I had forgotten about that. Great track.

I think if you didn't do it it shouldn't go in, so while I think you can include some of the Disney spot, I wouldn't include the portions which are really focused on the character.

Also it's a little bit long, I think--I'd cut some of the footage which is more heavily filter-based--meaning, the shots of the rocket taking off, etc. which just seem like regular footage that's been messed with.

But it's really good. High-quality stuff, and well-edited. Again, I love the song choice too--I think it will go over professionally as well, as it gives the reel character.

Also, took a look at your website--nice work. "Happy Cycling" is another great song, nice pitch, perfectly suited to the song. Fantastic work on the Jeremy Warmsley piece as well.

Ben, I'll be putting up my reel here in a couple days and I'd appreciate if you have a chance to comment. Nice work. Best,

Ryan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]