FORUMS: list search recent posts

The Dreaded Cover Letter

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Osika
The Dreaded Cover Letter
on Oct 27, 2005 at 3:12:47 pm

As I begin my job search for editing work, I have been plagued by how to compose a good cover letter. One void of as many cliches ("hard worker, eager to learn") as possible. Any thoughts or suggestions or samples would be extremely helpful. I find writing the letter to be more strenuous than putting the reel together! Ahhhhh!

Ryan

Return to posts index

lriv
Re: The Dreaded Cover Letter
by
on Oct 27, 2005 at 7:11:06 pm

When I did my cover letter, I searched online for various examples but I wanted to avoid cliches as well. The best approach that I came accross was to make the cover letter more personal and interesting rather than solely relying on the typical format. Give the employer a sense of who you are as a person. For example, in my cover letter, I wanted to say that I was hard-working and determined without just saying that, so I wrote a little about my family background and how my dad struggled to take care of his family with many disadvantages. I wanted to show that being determined and hard-working was part of who I am and that's how I was taught to be from the start. Don't get me wrong...it wasn't sappy...I made sure that I tied my personal experiences with my career and mentioned how important these experiences were in influencing the kind of worker/creatively diverse person that I am. Of course, I did follow the format of a cover letter...the attention grabbing intro, background, and details of my qualifications/how I would benefit the company (or something like that). It was very thoughtful and professional...and I got the job (even told that I was the only one who stood out).

hope this helps

Return to posts index

Brian24DP
on Oct 27, 2005 at 7:17:10 pm

The last freelance gig i got the covere letter was simply this:

"Here is the link to me reel ________ . I do have the dates open for your session, but am currently in high demand so please contact me asap"

I got the job.. lol, you never know what will make you stick out from everyone esle. Your work usually speaks for itself, so thats what i like to do. But dont get me wrong, normally i explain why i am good for the position and list a couple recent jobs that are similar... but like i said you never know

Return to posts index

Miller
on Nov 2, 2005 at 11:07:04 am

Perception is everything...of course.

Return to posts index

Greg
by
on Nov 8, 2005 at 9:33:44 pm

Try the book "Cover Letters that Knock em dead" by Martin Yates. It landed me my first job!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]