FORUMS: list search recent posts

Critique Please of My Editors Reel - Documentary/News Magazine

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Osika
Critique Please of My Editors Reel - Documentary/News Magazine
on Oct 7, 2005 at 3:30:54 pm

This is my very first attempt at an editors reel. Most of my experience comes from editing news magazine/documentary style work. I do have motion graphics experience as well which is displayed in the reel. I'm anxious to hear anyone's thoughts on the reel.

Thanks for your brutal honesty and your time.

http://www.rosika.com/editors_reel.htm

Return to posts index

jh9000
Re: Critique Please of My Editors Reel - Documentary/News Magazine
on Oct 7, 2005 at 4:07:44 pm

My first thought... WAAAAAAAAY too long. I watched about 45 seconds and then scanned all the way through to the end. I want to see your work and what you can do, not a trailer for everything you have done. The focus seems more on the stories rather than you. You have a lot of great editing and graphics in there just cut the best of it and take it to like a minute thirty tops. Also it ends on a pretty depressing note, not really memorable, work on creating a tight ending that leaves me wanting more.
Just my $0.02.

Cheers

Return to posts index

editdaddy
on Oct 7, 2005 at 5:56:06 pm

Nice reel, a good balance of editing and gfx design work. I notice some sound bites in the first couple of minutes were a little loud, just need to be smothed out a little. Nice work on the map. Like the other guy said just make it shorter.

Return to posts index

Ryan Osika
on Oct 7, 2005 at 7:16:26 pm

Hey thanks for the comments. I'll look at trimming the reel some, though I've been told by editors in the television industry that it should be 3-5 minutes in length, so I don't know if it makes sense to bring it down to a minute and a half. The comment about ending it on a higher note is great, I will fix that -- thanks! And you're right, there are some points where the sound is loud -- thanks for that as well. Keep the comments comin' and, don't worry, I can take 'em even if they're brutal. Thanks again for taking the time to view and write.

Ryan

http://www.rosika.com/editors_reel.htm

Return to posts index

Ryan Koo
on Oct 7, 2005 at 9:39:17 pm

It's well-done, but I agree that it's a bit long.

I'd put the Warren piece earlier, along with the "The Kansas Profile" motion graphics part--the early parts are kind of slow, because they run together--they're too similar to each other--and they don't really have any fast-paced music or anything to wake whoever's watching your reel up.

I'd also put some music over the opening and closing to give it some energy, and do some motion graphics work--if they're going to hire you for compositing as well as editing, show them something with your name.

Basically: more energy on the front and back, and tighten it up a bit, and I think it'll improve a lot--good job though.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]