FORUMS: list search recent posts

Help on creating an Editors Reel

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jana
Help on creating an Editors Reel
by
on Sep 29, 2005 at 6:41:42 pm

I am applying for J Walter Thompson advertising company and I have an interview in 4 days. I am trying to get a reel together for an internship. I do not know motion graphics and I'm afraid my reel will not be "fancy" enough. Is there any suggestions as to what I can do with ordinary footage of weddings / wildlife?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jana

Return to posts index

kfredericks
Re: Help on creating an Editors Reel
on Sep 30, 2005 at 4:49:40 pm

If the footage doe not stand on its own, visually, then you'll have to annotate it (title overlays). If your annotation with visuals doesn't convey your editing skill message, then perhaps you'll have to just provide some solid examples, in their entirety to convey your editing skills. Unfortunately, it is a little easier to convey camera work and motion graphics skills with a montage than editing (unless you have so much footage that you reel itself becomes your best edit piece - which is unlikely).

Don't take my word for it though. I'm new around here.

Return to posts index

person
on Oct 5, 2005 at 10:08:43 pm

no reel is realy needed for an internship. once in, do what you can to land a project or two or three to actually build a reel with some real work.

Return to posts index

Matt
by
on Oct 1, 2005 at 12:15:40 am

Jana,
OK, take a breath and keep things in perspective. This is an internship, if you had a polished reel it may look suspect, like maybe you did not do it, or you are over qualified...and if you are coming here for last minute ideas and tweaks chances are you need more expierience...and the result of a "oh-no" toss together could work against you.

For me, I need more info, like why are they intrested in interviewing you? you must have made some good moves already, so read between the lines, You should also know by now what they are specifically looking for, if not find out!! The more info on this group the better, as you can cater your sell of your "soft skills" like How quickly you learn, how good you are with people, and if you have it... your, entrepenurial-big picture skills, every company can use an effective ideas person especially if those ideas lead to more business.

After you know what the perfect fit is for this group try to sell yourself as that person, to some degree and try to support this in the context of what projects you can show them, ask for an opportunity to actually show some of your work with the decision maker and make like; boy, I can learn from a guy like you, ask for feedback and create a dialouge... do not just leave yout reel behind, create a relationship...ask for advice, be humble and listen to the guy and respond effectively. Make him feel "all-knowing"

Keep emphasizing your strengths, stay positive, and never make excuses. Ask meaningful questions.

I got my first big break many years ago with a company that contracted with the whos who of this industry and I DID NOT HAVE A FORMAL REEL! I had full examples and a informal conversation that lasted almost 2 hours, I then came back with a proposal on what I thought could increase their exposure and throughput, and at the end of the day ideas that "banged their cash register" get it...

YOu must develop a realtionship, because with the best reel in town from a guy/girl that can not work with the team will not get you the job.

I have so much insight on this but it is Friday and it has been a long week, feel free to contact me at mabron@comcast.net if you have any specific concerns...

Good Luck, and just go for it!
But do not mispell, you can only get away with bad spelling once you are established. Ha Ha

Matt

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]