Re: First Demo Reel for Editor/AE/Graphic Design

COW Forums : Demo Reels

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Dex Craig
Re: First Demo Reel for Editor/AE/Graphic Design
on Sep 27, 2005 at 11:11:59 pm

Howdy, all --

Nice work, and congrats for putting it together. We're looking for some outside help here at the State of California, and I've just had the fun task of going through demo reels from a ton of companies that shoot, edit, do graphics and all that for work. Gotta say, if I'd seen this demo reel, it would have stuck out.

Because of the music.

I don't think it's a liability, at all. Of course, other folks obviously feel strongly in the other direction, so my suggestion is that you go with what feels right to you.

To me, the music and the fun pacing of your transition graphics made me think, 'hey, this guy would be fun to work with.' And it kept my interest on the reel, so I learned what you could do.

Now, I'd have to agree that the pacing, particularly near the end with the 3d stuff, wasn't there, and the scenes from the strawberry tips and car thing weren't all that much (though I did like the four-up when the standup talks about four tips). Show us some cool cutting if you're demoing your cutting.

The 3d stuff at the end should also probably show us the rendered and textured version of the head, rather than the all white and wireframe versions. Folks who don't do 3D work tend to be wowed by wireframe, but those of us who do are much more impressed by excellent textures.

I really do think this is a good demo reel, and it definitely stands out from the crowd; that's important when someone is going through a bazillion reels, all of which are cut together to the same "driving techno music." Yawn.

My two cents.

- Dex

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]