FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Baby Video Ever!

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kfredericks
Best Baby Video Ever!
on Sep 26, 2005 at 5:30:35 pm

This is for anyone who can appreciate a well-edited music video or a very cute baby video (as a parent). It's just over 3 minutes and set to the song "Mr. Mom" by Lonestar. I really need an audience, as this took me a great while to put together. So let me know what you think:

Hi-Res 640x480 Windows Media 9 (60 MB)
http://kfredericks.net/mrmom.html

Lo-Res 320x240 Windows Media 9 (14 MB)
http://kfredericks.net/mrmom320.html

On a separate note: I know people here won't be floored by this video like my family, friends, and co-workers are. I'm sure you all do much better work for a living. But, I'd be interested in your opinions, after seeing the video, if you think this is something I could be doing for a living.

Return to posts index

vickie
Re: Best Baby Video Ever!
on Sep 26, 2005 at 7:28:26 pm

That WAS the best baby video ever! I've never been so captivated by someone's "home movies", let alone a stranger's. Very creative. Loved the photo selection cut-outs over video and the merging a picture from a previous photo. How'd you do that? And, how'd you get the "time-lapse" pregnancy? That was slick!

Please tell more about how you put this video together.

Vickie

Return to posts index

kfredericks
on Sep 28, 2005 at 6:05:01 pm

I'd be happy to tell you the particulars if you're interested. Used a lot of different techniques, most of which I learned on this site.

Return to posts index

eric sampson
on Sep 26, 2005 at 8:25:21 pm

GREAT PIECE. Really enjoyed, especially being the fact that it was a "strangers" video! Curious to know what you do then if your not a "professional"!

Return to posts index

kfredericks
on Sep 28, 2005 at 6:03:54 pm

I work on college textbooks :)

Return to posts index

maxrez
on Sep 26, 2005 at 8:53:59 pm

KF,

Brilliant! Great song too. Did you composite in After Effects? Nice job and it kept me interested for 3

Return to posts index

Brian24DP
on Sep 26, 2005 at 9:40:46 pm

two infant size thumbs WAY up.
good stuff

Return to posts index

kfredericks
on Sep 27, 2005 at 12:29:01 am

Thank you everyone! I REALLY appreciate that positive feedback. I am currently considering changing professions, and your kind words are giving me a big motivation boost. To answer your questions:

1) I did create this video in After Effects. Obviously I used Photoshop a great deal and I used Premiere to edit the major video segments since they didn't require any "Effects"

2) I work in the publishing industry on College textbooks. Part project manager. Part programmer. Part eBook technologist.

3) The particulars of how I did certain things can be traced to the tutorials on this site. The time-lapse was learned in the morphing tutorial. I used the RESPAPE effect to morph from one cutout picture to another. Video cutout stuff was rotoscoping, also a tutorial on this site. The general cutout animation and transition stuff is basic layer compositing with After Effects. I'd have to know specifically which part to tell you exactly.

THANK YOU THANK YOU EVERYONE

If anyone has any advice for how I can break into the industry, I'd really appreciate it.

Sometimes a fire extinguisher catches fire.

Return to posts index

Matt
by
on Sep 28, 2005 at 5:15:19 am

Nice, but I am not as wowed as the rest, nice keepsake, but I feel the secret to truly WOW, is to use these effects in conjunction with telling a story, like what were you and your wifes fears during pregnacy, what was some of the fun prebirth speculation, what was your process to name your child, what things did you learn about life throughout this process, what fun things, sounds, behavoirs of your child...more topical

I guess montages at any level rarely WOW me, but you are good with the tools and I felt a strong sense of timing with your edits and this is impressive if you are really a hobbiest, I was not able to watch the whole thing, lack of paitience but did scrub to end to see how you finished.

Just my 2

As far as baby videos, this is the best, and my first.

Return to posts index

kfredericks
on Sep 28, 2005 at 6:02:20 pm

I appreciate critical feedback as well. I agree that where a true story is told, a video is far more compelling. And your comments make me wonder what the video would have been had I shot for goal more intently. I will continue to think about that, as it is important.

There was a fair bit of compositional strategy and story though (it is very shallow though). But I sort of conceded that failure from the beginning in favor of making a fun music video that most people could enjoy, if not totally appreciate on a personal level, as of course my family will.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

maxrez
on Sep 28, 2005 at 3:44:33 pm

Kfred,

On the note about doing this as a profession. I don't know if you mean business or job working for someone else. You have to look at the economics of a production like this and count how many hours it took to edit the project; including ingest, graphics (Photoshop & After Effects), editing and playout or authoring. With all this time added up multiply by $100.00 just as a number in the sky. I have a feeling that individuals wouldn't pay $2000 - 3000 for a project like this, but a company might. Individuals might pay $200.00. Now let's say if your current job pays $10 an hour and you just spent 20 hours editing your projects then you are no farther ahead other than spending more time away from family and things you enjoy doing away from work. My point is don't quit your day job. If you employer has and outside empployment form then fill it out and start a small business and take advantage of tax right offs and making your own schedule and getting more projects under your belt. I didn't mention if you did video production as a living you would be having to pay all your own benefits. A $50,000 job is worth $80,000 when you put insurance in the mix. There is an excellent article in this months or last months DV magazine about marketing and assessment. Great read. As your business grows over time then you can make decisions about changing careers or doing it full-time. Hope this helps.

Steve

Return to posts index

kfredericks
on Sep 28, 2005 at 5:36:28 pm

This is a truly excellent and insightful response. I was in fact doing the math in my head. And I came to the conclusion that I would have to find some rich clients willing to spend thousands of dollars on video like this. So it is funny that you said basically the same thing.

I currently make just above 60k, but would love to be working on more multimedia, with a concentration in video, because I think I am good at it and by extension, love it a great deal. So right now I am wondering what my next steps should be. I am not a seasoned video editor, so I can't compete with people in the marketplace applying to job posted X (I am sure such postings would require years of experience with FCP, Avid, or Media 100). But I have the background and skills to evolve quickly in the areas of editing and motion graphics. So what do I do? Do I wrap up what minimal portfolio I have (Personal video productions like the baby video above), send it off to a bunch of production companies and maybe even some larger corporations (all unsolicited), on the chance that I might impress someone?

I really am not sure what road to take. That is why freelancing as a means of getting some experience and building a portfolio seems somewhat logical. So here I am thinking, "Maybe if I get my video playing in the maternity ward of all nearby hospitals, my phone will ring off the hook."

Return to posts index

eric
by
on Oct 1, 2005 at 4:23:27 am

Dude!!!....if you really want to do motion graphics and editing you, without a doubt, have skills. Keep at it!!!

Return to posts index

kfredericks
on Oct 3, 2005 at 2:46:55 pm

I like to let people know that I truly appreciate positive feedback like this. It seriously is inspiring because as you may or may not know, it is very difficult to change careers emotionally. You need a lot of encouragement. So you words actually contribute to my confidence toward possibly making a life change. So again, thank you.

So that leaves me with, "How do I make a demo reel if I don't have any recent professional work." This video is my most recent and best showcase of my skills. I bet that most people here would say it is good, but inadequate, by itself. But it is better than nothing, right? Would it be unwise of me to send out my resume, with this and a Wedding DVD I made as my reel? I had thoughts of editing together an actual reel, and construct a video resume of sorts. But I simply don't have enough different assets to accomplish that. It would be more of a motion graphics resume than a demo reel. Suggestions?

Return to posts index

kfredericks
on Oct 3, 2005 at 2:48:57 pm

So how do I make a demo reel if I don't have any recent professional work? This video is my most recent and best showcase of my skills. I bet that most people here would say it is good, but inadequate, by itself. But it is better than nothing, right? Would it be unwise of me to send out my resume, with this and a Wedding DVD I made as my reel? I had thoughts of editing together an actual reel, and construct a video resume of sorts. But I simply don't have enough different assets to accomplish that. It would be more of a motion graphics resume than a demo reel. Suggestions?

Return to posts index

eric
by
on Oct 4, 2005 at 5:32:02 pm

Take a look at some other reels areound here to get ideas. Theres no way I can sit infront of a blank screen and come up with something. I need to look into a magazines or see others stuff to get the juices flowing. maybe take a class on motion graphics ( http://www.videosymphony.com ).

For someone who is a hobbiest your stuff is great...Practice practice practice.

Return to posts index

JohnWynston
on Oct 11, 2005 at 1:08:15 am

I am a project manager for an affiliate of Imageworks. That video is very impressive. While I can't "promise" you a job, I would be more than happy to discuss some options with you. I would also be interested in seeing your other work. Contact me at john_wynston@yahoo.com and I will provide you with a phone number at which you can reach me.

John

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]