FORUMS: list search recent posts

First Demo Reel for Editor/AE/Graphic Design

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
shmegegge
First Demo Reel for Editor/AE/Graphic Design
on Sep 19, 2005 at 9:54:20 pm

Hey all, this is my first demo reel. I desperately need criticism, and I'm thick-skinned so don't worry about offending me. I'd rather the demo reel BE good, than just THINK it's good but not get any work. Right now I'm at that point where I've sat with it too long to look at it objectively any more. I'm kind of wondering if I should just do away with the menu interface and just slam a bunch of clips together. This would allow for more clips to be added, but then almost all the professional work I've done has looked just like the clips I've already provided. Would monotony be a risk? Is it a risk worth taking? meh.

I'm also wondering if I should just get rid of the graphic design section. The more I look at it the less I think it impresses.

thanks in advance,

adam

http://homepage.mac.com/mendelini/demo_reel_good.mov

Return to posts index

vdojenn
Re: First Demo Reel for Editor/AE/Graphic Design
on Sep 20, 2005 at 3:32:57 pm

hey I like ur work! the only thing I would say about ur reel is that the wavy blue menu doesn't really match the colors from the beginning where it ways ur name. also, near the end where it shows ur photoshop and maya work, it seems to slow down from the beginning when it was rather quick. you can jazz that up a bit and it will be awesome! great job there.

Jennifer Pabon at RCR Productions

Return to posts index

shmegegge
on Sep 20, 2005 at 5:25:54 pm

thank you very much. I need the critiques, so you rock. I'll see about fixing the timing at the end, and maybe I'll see about changing the blue color scheme?

I don't know if it's obvious or not, but the beginning green on green is based on the old gameboy intro screen, and the song is the theme from the gameboy version of tetris. I was mostly worried about over doing that idea, so i came up with the blu stuff. maybe i should stick to the green...

Return to posts index

vdojenn
on Sep 20, 2005 at 6:17:58 pm

I thought that intro was cool. you could stick to that scheme and maybe pick another color or shade after the green. maybe I'm biased... cuz I love the old gameboy!

Jennifer Pabon at RCR Productions

Return to posts index

eric
by
on Sep 22, 2005 at 6:15:21 am

OK..I think it stinks..here why? You have some good work there but I believe it doesn't show how good an editor you can be. After she says "...secret your car dealer wants to know...." - this is where you should draw the audience into the piece but the piece slows down. Whats with the fat texas lady piece? - again it doesn't really show any editing talent.

Your graphics are really good but the reel is way to slow. Spend 2 weeks doing nothing but adding to your reel and for God's sakes ...PLEASE GET RID THE OF THE MUSIC!!!!!

Return to posts index

shmegegge
on Sep 22, 2005 at 11:30:31 am

thanks for the critique!

whew, that's a lot to swallow, but you raise some excellent points. I've got a lot of rethinking to do, here. thanks.

Return to posts index

Johnny
on Sep 24, 2005 at 10:15:32 am

Howdy

The first piece doesn't need to run any longer then up to the 2nd car montage. Nothing the guy says or the blend effect really adds to what you are showing. The women cook, it's cuts only, more impressed with the camera work then a cuts only piece. People who are hiring, in my experience want to see a variety in styles, cuts to music, how you use effects, the visuals you choose, how you worked in the graphics, mostly they want to be excited by what they see.

Just taking a guess, since this is your first reel, that you don't have a lot of footage to choose. I think in the edit section you would be better off making it seem bigger though. Instead of 2 stories for 30 seconds, 4 to 6 stories at around 10-15 seconds per. Pick stories with a strong opening and if they don't have it, redo them so they do. If you don't really have that much material, see what you can do about putting some together. My first reel came together after an intership(many many moons ago) of pretty much footage that was shot for other projects(I asked the owner of the company, can I use this footage, never claimed on the resume I shot the stuff though, wrong and I'm no where close to that good of shooter). I would just find things and then cut it together how I wanted, got a friend to VO some, shot some stand ups for other things. Made them look like real pieces that were used for different things, trade shows, commericials and if potential employers asked I told them straight up exactly what they were, just examples of my ability to edit.

Nothing wrong with the graphics/animation work you chose, but the other guy is right, you need to can that music ASAP. Something else you can do with your reel, is edit the motion effects and graphics to a piece of music. Since it's animation/graphics you can let it really hang out.

I don't mind the music for framing the piece and the intro's, it's clever, but when it went on and on. Seriously, if that came across my desk, it would of been a struggle to watch it all the way through.

Don't sweat it, just keep plugging and chugging
Good luck
johnny

Return to posts index

Dex Craig
on Sep 27, 2005 at 11:11:59 pm

Howdy, all --

Nice work, and congrats for putting it together. We're looking for some outside help here at the State of California, and I've just had the fun task of going through demo reels from a ton of companies that shoot, edit, do graphics and all that for work. Gotta say, if I'd seen this demo reel, it would have stuck out.

Because of the music.

I don't think it's a liability, at all. Of course, other folks obviously feel strongly in the other direction, so my suggestion is that you go with what feels right to you.

To me, the music and the fun pacing of your transition graphics made me think, 'hey, this guy would be fun to work with.' And it kept my interest on the reel, so I learned what you could do.

Now, I'd have to agree that the pacing, particularly near the end with the 3d stuff, wasn't there, and the scenes from the strawberry tips and car thing weren't all that much (though I did like the four-up when the standup talks about four tips). Show us some cool cutting if you're demoing your cutting.

The 3d stuff at the end should also probably show us the rendered and textured version of the head, rather than the all white and wireframe versions. Folks who don't do 3D work tend to be wowed by wireframe, but those of us who do are much more impressed by excellent textures.

I really do think this is a good demo reel, and it definitely stands out from the crowd; that's important when someone is going through a bazillion reels, all of which are cut together to the same "driving techno music." Yawn.

My two cents.

- Dex

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]