FORUMS: list search recent posts

first reel... need input please

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Gray
first reel... need input please
on Sep 13, 2005 at 12:48:20 am

Hello all. This is my first reel outside of college. All of it is from where I have been working for the last 2 years as a Promotion Producer so it may get redundant. This reel is aimed at potentially pursuing a Promotion Producer position in a larger market. Currently I am in a #111 market and am looking to move up. Thanks - Justin Gray

LARGER FILE LINK:
http://homepage.mac.com/grayplanet/iMovieTheater12.html

SMALLER FILE LINK:
http://homepage.mac.com/grayplanet/iMovieTheater13.html

Return to posts index

promoboy
Re: first reel... need input please
on Sep 13, 2005 at 2:16:16 am

I'd cut the intro to the spots. They're promotional pieces that sell the story for your station--if they sold themselves on the air and got viewers to tune in to your station, they'll speak for themselves on a demo reel. The intros to each spot just seemed to slow everything down. Otherwise, I liked the spots. Does your station ever include humor in any of your promotions? If so, include some humor. Since you work for a news station everything will have a very newsy feel, but if your station has ever done something a little off the wall or humorous, definitely include it if it was done well. Also, have you done any work outside the station? Paid or spec work, but not for news. If so, put some of it on the reel if it's good. If not, I'd suggest putting something together to show that you can do things outside of news. It's very difficult to really flex your creative muscle in news sometimes. I know. I work for KLTV's sister station in Indiana. But sometimes we'll cut loose and try something off the wall to shake the market up and get people talking (in a good way). Also, what happened with the UFO story? Ever figure out what those things were? And what kind of turnaround do you have? Do you produce these promos in a day, a few days, one a week? Just curious what other stations have for turnaround time. Thanks.

Michael.

Return to posts index

Justin Gray
on Sep 13, 2005 at 4:35:02 am

Thanks for the great response. And I hope things are going well at your shop at WFIE.
I am working on cutting together another reel right now that uses mostly content from freelance work and some shows I've produced. It's put together in more of a montage fashion and, as you mentioned, I am leaving a out lot of the intros and is quite a bit shorter. I appreciate the feedback very much. Take care. -Justin Gray

P.S. Do you think the Raycom buyout will have us doing away with the VDO package?

If so.... here we go again!

Return to posts index

Justin Gray
on Sep 13, 2005 at 4:52:16 am

...Michael, you asked about turn around time from our shop...

All the spots on my reel were done in a day. We have two producers,(including me) and an assistant. We produce four topicals daily and attend the editorial meetings. So, as you can imagine, we have to hit the ground running. Cheers -J

Return to posts index

promoboy
on Sep 13, 2005 at 5:19:49 am

WOW. Four topicals, attend the editorial meetings and still crank out promos daily? I just gained a higher level of love for my job. Another guy does our topical, and right now we're only doing one a day. I basically do the rest of the promos (he takes care of all PSAs, I do station promos). Usually takes about a day. For our big events (football and sweeps) I start building elements the minute I get details so I can spend more time tweaking. Of course, being news, details always change. I love it.
If this Raycom thing goes through, I'm hoping things won't change much. I've only been with WFIE since March, but it's been great, and I've heard great things about Raycom. As soon as you get your other reel done, please post it. I'd love to take a look at it too.

Michael.

Return to posts index

Justin Gray
on Sep 13, 2005 at 5:43:18 pm

MIchael, sounds like you guys got it pretty easy over there. To say the least it's a madhouse where I'm at, but I love it too. It keeps you on your toes and it's always a challenge. You mentioned that you are new to Liberty Corp. I just wanted to say if you need anything or have any questions about promos or want to ask/share ideas look me up.

EMAIL:
jgray@kltv.com.

PHONE:
(903) 597-5588 ext. 210

P.S. tell Gil I said hi.

Return to posts index

Biggie
on Sep 13, 2005 at 4:36:46 pm

Hey dude,

Good stuff, just thought I'd let you know that Premiere is spelled wrong at the beginning of your demo. The proper way to spell it is "Premiere" not "Premier" (assuming of course you're referring to Adobe Premiere). Keep up the good work.

Biggie

Return to posts index

Justin Gray
on Sep 13, 2005 at 5:37:00 pm

Thanks Biggie. I'll change it today!

Return to posts index

eric
by
on Sep 14, 2005 at 6:35:41 am

Good work..but I would take out all the programs in the beginning. One would have to assume by your work what programs you use. does a client really care about what you use to get a job done?

Return to posts index

thew
by
on Sep 14, 2005 at 5:34:52 pm

Always enjoyed the news biz worked for NBC/ABC for 3 years..
Looks good nice used of Motion and Live Type..
Id just get rid of the slates inbetween..
I assume you used Motion on the Deadliest roads spot, Ive seen the square transition several times and like it..

Return to posts index

paradox
on Sep 14, 2005 at 6:19:46 pm

cool stuff. where did the film footage come from? and did you do anything to the footage?

Return to posts index

paradox
on Sep 14, 2005 at 6:22:45 pm

cool stuff. where did the film footage come from, and did you do anything to it?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]