FORUMS: list search recent posts

Help finding Quick Time setting Information - Please oh Please!

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chicken1207
Help finding Quick Time setting Information - Please oh Please!
on Sep 6, 2005 at 10:33:43 pm

Hi there! I am new to the forum (and new to editing), and I have enjoyed watching everyone's reels. I am having trouble exporting my demo reel. Can anyone help me to find any information on what would be the best Quicktime export settings for a 5 minute reel (exporting from FCP 4), or can anyone tell me the settings they have used? I would like to get my demo up online!

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you to anyone who can help!

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
Re: Help finding Quick Time setting Information - Please oh Please!
on Sep 6, 2005 at 10:42:46 pm

For starters, no one is going to sit through a five minute demo reel. The best ones are usually one minute or less.

Tighten it up and get it down to a blazing minute that leaves your audience wanting more, not getting to the end (if they make it that far), saying: "Finally it's over."

Not to throw cold water on your plans but I have never seen a five minute demo reel that has worked.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

chicken1207
on Sep 6, 2005 at 10:57:18 pm

Would you recommend a just one minute reel when applying as an editor/assnt. editor of short and feature films? Thanks for the advice.

Return to posts index

Vinh
by
on Sep 8, 2005 at 11:58:10 pm

I wonder about that too. For modeling, animating, motion graphics, dp, and compositing I understand that a short reel is good. But when you're a long form editor showing say five pieces, how do you get the feel of the edit? 20 seconds a piece? What if you're into editing trailers, can you show only a small clip of it?

Return to posts index

chicken1207
RE: Reels for short and feature editors
on Sep 9, 2005 at 2:27:54 pm

I got mine down to about 3:30 which is tight and I'm pretty happy with it. Yeah, a minute to show what I can do to with a narrative story, just won't serve anyone, any good. And as a director, I would want to see just a little more meat. Once I get it to a a nice QT file I'll share it! Thanks!

Return to posts index

Justin gray
Re: RE: Reels for short and feature editors
on Sep 15, 2005 at 3:51:13 am

So no one has even addressed your question yet. you export setting relies on many things.

1. The format of the footage you initially inputted.
2. The settings of your projects you are actually exporting from.
3. The intended viewing median, i.e. web, broadcast, DVD, CD.

And these are just a few basic concepts to take into consideration. You say you're using FCP. Well within the FCP documentation that ships with the product there are pages and pages of helpful info about exporting your projects.
I designed my demo in FCP 4.5 and wanted no compression at all. Of course, you have to have lots of storage space because the files can get massive in a hurry. So, since my original footage was uncompressed, my projects were uncompressed, and the final output was uncompressed. However, if you wish to get your stuff on the web at a much smaller size, then export it using compressor and choose mpeg1. This preset can get you 5 minute demo down to about 50 megs.
Hope this help. Most important thing before exporting is to ask yourself what the intended viewing median will be. -Justin Gray

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]