FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lance Armstrong / Nike Spec

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian24DP
Lance Armstrong / Nike Spec
on Sep 4, 2005 at 8:05:09 pm

This is a spec spot i just finished. Granted there are things i would have fixed or done better but i had limited time to finish this. I think it came out pretty cool, let me know what you think
http://www.24dp.com/spec.html

Brian

Return to posts index

reggie prescott
Re: Lance Armstrong / Nike Spec
on Sep 4, 2005 at 11:19:07 pm

nike used the verve's "bitter sweet symphony" back in the late nineties in an ad called "i can play". i couldn't find the quicktime but did find a link to some frame grabs with credit info. i was actually working on a job with mark goodman, the editor, while he was finishing this up. i remember him saying it was a tough job in that there were numerous source material from previously shot nike ads. basiclly making something in the edit montage style. shortly after it aired the song was found to be infringing on a Rolling Stones song in which the strings sample was pulled from. 100% of the verve's 'bitter sweet symphony' profits went to the Stones in the end. the verve has since broken up (a littler bitter sweet ending wouldn't you say?) thought you should know before you go showing this to ad folks, as it was pretty popular at the time. and they will instantly point it out.

http://web.archive.org/web/20010428121356/www.goldenmarble.com/98/finalists...

Return to posts index

Brian24DP
on Sep 5, 2005 at 12:08:54 am

Yes, i do remember that little instance... I am aware. Its just a spec spot, not for broadcast so it makes no difference. Yea the music track was an old un-released song from the stones "garage band days" They literally sued the Verve out of existence. Still a good tune IMHO.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Sep 5, 2005 at 2:38:47 am

Weird...not sure if I just saw this somewhere else on the web, but I might have seen this spot...not exactly, but real close, on cable. It was a little more polished and didn't have the odd cuts of his arm moving, but it was this spot.

Don't remember the music used.

Was it ever aired?

Richster

Return to posts index

Brian24DP
on Sep 5, 2005 at 7:36:56 am

never aired, just a spec

Return to posts index

reggie prescott
on Sep 6, 2005 at 2:39:45 am

it's a technique that has been done mucho. maybe that it was he/she is referring to. meaning the technique of cutouts floating.

i don't think it would really change the spot much if you were to switch out the music for something that has the same 'inspirational feel' to it.

the images weren't driven by the current music.

Return to posts index

Brian24DP
on Sep 6, 2005 at 8:26:19 am

agreed... if somone wanted to air this spot, im sure swapping out the music and making some minor changes wouldnt impact the original design for it.

On a side note, i was watching the PGA tour today on ABC, and they used this song for one of their bumpers going to commercial. I assume that the ascap / bmi and other residuals just go to the stones now. but it was interesting to hear it in a major broadacst

brian

Return to posts index

person
on Sep 6, 2005 at 4:20:02 pm

not sure why networks can do the ascap bmi thing as apposed to licensing tracks. i see it as use of a song to boost the image to boost ad $.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]