FORUMS: list search recent posts

Since Cyan is no more, here's my reel

COW Forums : Demo Reels

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
fministr
Since Cyan is no more, here's my reel
on Sep 2, 2005 at 9:36:41 pm

Fellow Cows,

As some of you might already know, Cyan Worlds, makers of the Myst series of computer games (and long time Mac fans) announced two weeks ago that they would be closing their doors and pulling the plug on future projects. I've been at Cyan since 1999, and for those of us affected by this announcement, it came as a bit of a shock.

Rather than persue another career in the gaming industry, I'm looking for work that is more along the lines of my college education in Broadcast, and am looking for full time or contract work in a motion graphics related position.

But the first step has been to update my demo reel. I'd greatly appreciate any feedback that anyone would care to offer:

http://www.moonlightdm.com/demoreel.wmv

and in QT flavor:

http://www.moonlightdm.com/demoreel.mov

Thanks,

Doug McBride

http://www.moonlightdm.com
doug@moonlightdm.com

Return to posts index

fministr
Any feedback? Anyone?
on Sep 6, 2005 at 6:40:29 pm

My web logs show that people are taking the time to look at my demo reel, which I appreciate.

What I really need though is some feedback from those who are taking the time to look.

Thanks!

Doug

Return to posts index

maxrez
Re: Any feedback? Anyone?
on Sep 8, 2005 at 12:59:55 pm

Doug,

Great Job! I looked at it a second time before writing this. The reel is tight and moves along. Even at 2:18 it didn't seem that long. The music kept things moving along. That's probably one thing I wanted to listen to the second time was the music. At first I thought it was mundane at points and repetitive, but the 2nd time around I was OK with it. Your variety is good. 2D, 3D, commercial and a nice mix of elements. Calvin & Hobbes was a bit dark (might be WMV and PC gamma) and it didn't seem to fit in for the length of that particular clip. I couldn't tell what it was. At the end of the reel, which I just watched for the 4th time, there is no contact information or website to refer to. I don't know if this is intentional, but I would add it. This helps if the reel is not accompanied by any other material that has that information. Hope this helps.

Steve

Return to posts index

fministr
on Sep 8, 2005 at 8:11:46 pm

Thanks Steve. I appreciate the feedback.

Coincidently, I did have contact info posted on the previous rendering, but chopped it off to shave a little bit of time and size for the web download. On the DVD copies I'm sending out, the contact info is clearly listed after the music fades out.

Thanks for taking a look, and especially for the response.

Doug

Return to posts index

Robert Houghton
on Sep 8, 2005 at 9:56:59 pm

Sorry to hear about your company going belly up man, I've been there myself. Feedback eh? Well to be honest I think your reel could use a bit of trimming. I saw a lot of stronger work near the end of the reel (particularly the compositing work, nice bit of roto on the ball) I think you could probably drop about 20-40 seconds from it and get a stronger presentation. Not necessarily elimintating some clips but definitely shortening the duration of some of them would help. Right now that reel looks like you could probably get a job as a promotions/news graphics designer at a TV station. I think when I worked at one we hired someone at about your skill level.

Of course this reminds me that I haven't updated my reel since 2002 and there's been some tasty stuff done since then. I'd better get cracking :)

-Rob

Doin the motion graphics thing since '96

Return to posts index

blackbudget
Re: Since Cyan is no more, here's my reel
on Sep 11, 2005 at 4:35:37 am

Good job. I like your work with 3d stroke. I don't see very many reels with a segment of work before the name slate, but it may be a good way to get attention. Then after they see your nice slate, they will want to stick around. I would recommend speeding up your first clip to get to your name quicker. Hope this helps. I just posted my first reel. Check it out.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]